Advanced search

anyone want to diagnose my cat?

(13 Posts)
bonzo77 Wed 02-Apr-14 21:47:45

She has a slightly swollen chin, which I have noticed before, but had gone away, it back again today, but a bit bigger. No sign of an injury, teeth in lower jaw all intact. Breathing normally and not drooling (suggesting she can swallow fine). Her chin is not tender to touch, nor hot. The skin and underlying tissues are smooth and mobile (no lumps or thickening). The swelling is pretty obvious (even DH noticed it), but by no means huge.

4 year old neutered female moggy. Free access to outdoors, no health issues, up to date on her jabs, eating and pooing as normal. Currently involved with on-going turf war, in which she is always going to be the loser as she is small, and locked in after dark, and as I said above, no injuries. currently sitting next to me chewing the lap top cable hmm. which is normal for her.

As it has only come up today, and is maybe recurrent, I wasn't about to rush her to the vet, but might take her next week if no improvement (sooner if dramatically deteriorates).

cozietoesie Wed 02-Apr-14 22:32:59

All I can say, bonzo, is that if one of mine had a recurring swelling I'd have them in to the vet. (With a photo if it had gone down - the joys of digital technology.)

(I'd be thinking teeth/mouth/gums myself - but I'm no vet.)

Twooter Wed 02-Apr-14 22:45:50

I'd be suspicious of Eosinophilic granuloma complex

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 03-Apr-14 06:56:14

Eosinophilia granuloma (rodent ulcer) would be on my list, but there are others too.

bonzo77 Thu 03-Apr-14 08:29:34

I assume that's different to the basal cell carcinoma rodent ulcer in humans. There's no actual ulcer. Swelling had reduced by about 50% this morning, and is now a little asymmetrical.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Apr-14 08:41:04

The thing is, bonzo, if she has a recurring swelling then she has an underlying problem which in my book should be addressed. (And the fact that she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort doesn't mean that she actually isn't - cats being past masters at covering up.)

Looking at it purely practically, it's surely better to see if you can find out and treat it now rather than wait until something awful flares up in the future?

chemenger Thu 03-Apr-14 08:44:58

Definitely go to the vet. I have lost two cats to oral cancers and would want to eliminate that possibility.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 03-Apr-14 08:50:30

One of ours had a nasal tumour that changed shape.

bonzo77 Thu 03-Apr-14 18:29:23

right.. vet it will be. presumably it's better to take her when the swelling is actually there. just got in from work, so haven't see her, but if it's there when I do I'll try to get an appointment for tomorrow or saturday.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Apr-14 20:02:15

Good luck to her then, bonzo. Let us know how she gets on.

bonzo77 Thu 03-Apr-14 20:23:54

She's just come in. The swelling is nearly gone. I've tried to get a photo, but she's not cooperating. Here goes....

The slight greyness on the second photo i think is dust, it wipes off.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Apr-14 20:27:05

What a pretty girl.

bonzo77 Thu 03-Apr-14 20:53:08

Thank you. She knows it! She was feeling more obliging after thoroughly cleaning her arse then drinking from my glass of water.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: