Getting Cat Euthanized- Please help(8 Posts)
(I'm copying and pasting this from another thread in another forum. I just want the most advice available!)
My cat (3 1/2 years old) lost a lot of weight and was not eating so I took him to the vet. They did some x-rays and found a large abdominal mass, about the size of a grapefruit. They also said it seemed his intestines were messed up because of it as his stomach felt lumpy. His chances of survival were very slim as it was so large that removing the entire thing seemed improbable. They suggested to have him euthanized.
I took him to another vet for a second opinion and it was more or less confirmed, with the added information that he is anemic which indicates the tumor is bleeding. However, she said she could either give him medication so he could live out the rest of his weeks peacefully (they said without treatment it would only be a couple more weeks) or I could have an ultrasound/biopsy done. But it would be major surgery and there is no guarantee he will survive it. They really couldn't offer any suggestions other than get the ultrasound done because they don't know what they are working with.
I feel guilty that I'm even considering having him put to sleep tomorrow without a firm diagnosis from an ultrasound, but I'm not even sure if it's worth it if there is only a slim chance. Plus, he hates going to the vet and he has to be constantly sedated. Putting him through surgeries and chemo, if it's cancerous (don't know if it is), seems selfish of me because I don't think he would enjoy that at all.
He used to be so energetic but now he just sleeps and licks at his food a couple times a day. He hasn't been throwing up yet and when I give him his anti-nausea medicine, he does eat. But he's obviously not his usual self. What if I get him euthanized but there was a chance he could have survived?
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. That's a horrendous diagnosis & I can understand how upset & conflicted you are.
I'm not an expert in any way, but I couldn't read this & not reply. There are plenty of wonderful cat experts in The Litter Tray & hopefully they'll be along in the morning to give you some good advice.
For what it's worth, I think in the circumstances if it was my cat I would be inclined to follow the vets' advice. I know it's difficult when it's a much loved pet, but the bottom line is that you don't want him to suffer & it does sound like his prognosis is very poor.
Thinking of you
Thank you so much for the kind words. Unfortunately, the first vet book the PTS appointment first thing the in morning (in about 12 hours) so hopefully I can make a decision by then. I'm certainly going to talk it over again with the vet before the procedure, so perhaps that will also help make it easier.
The advice you gave if it was your situation really did help. It was along the same lines I've been thinking (or trying to think...), so I'm breathing a bit easier.
Thanks a bunch
It sounds a huge tumour though. I think you know what you have to do even though it will grieve you.
We kept one alive too long once, she ended up like a skeleton & I still feel guilty 20years later.
I think you should go to the PTS appointment I'm sorry for you
That would be a massive tumour and I'm surprised he's lasted this long.
I think you have to listen to what the vet says and go to the appointment this morning. I'm so very sorry for him and you.
Have a dog, not a cat but I think if I were in your position I would take her to be pts. My last dog was left suffering too long and it really upsets me thinking back, I should have let her go sooner. It was only the matter of a couple of weeks but I'm sure for her it was bad. I listened to the vet who kept saying see how she goes but I should have made the decision myself.
It will be tough today but remember who you are doing it for, it's the last kindness we can give our pets. Thinking of you.
Our cat suffered gradual weight loss and permanent hunger, whilst the vet tested for the obvious which was hyperthyroidism, and felt her thoroughly he/we didn't x ray. About a month later she stopped eating, was vomiting and became painfully thin almost overnight - an x ray revealed a tumour the size of a clementine in her tummy, which was blocking her up completely. We had her pts whilst she was still under the sedation for the x ray. I was racked with guilt that we hadn't found it first time round, although the vet took a biopsy and results showed that it was a hugely aggressive tumour and had probably only taken a short time to reach that enormous size. I felt so bad that my lovely cat had been so miserable for the last few days - given the advice you've been given I would take it. Hard though it is, the old adage of "better a day too soon than a day too late" is so true.
I hope it wasn't too awful, you are doing the right thing by him.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.