Talk

Advanced search

The cat had a program injection, what happens if he gets fleas?

(7 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:48:54

Do they just die confused

cozietoesie Fri 28-Mar-14 18:55:10

I have a feeling that Program just prevents eggs from developing and that you need a spot on for live fleas which are present. (I'll stand to be corrected on that, though.) Didn't the vet explain the product ?

How is the boy doing generally by the way?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 28-Mar-14 19:02:02

She did mention it stops fleas breeding so you won't get infested. He doesn't have fleas at the moment.

He seems ok, annoyed I won't let him out because he's had an injection.

I'm just wondering what happens if a flea jumps on him, it's cat central around here & there's bound to be people who don't do flea treatments.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Mar-14 19:20:27

I guess it would lay eggs - which wouldn't develop - and then die of old age? I think you need an expert, Fluffy.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 28-Mar-14 19:35:35

The flea eggs can't develop to larvae so the life cycle ends. If the cat is an indoor cat Program is a very effective control. If the cat goes outside it probably will pick up fleas and you will see an occasional flea.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Mar-14 19:44:44

Thanks Lone.

moonbells Fri 28-Mar-14 22:13:19

You do get the odd live one <looks hard at bite on ankle and then at Mooncat> but not that many. We had the old food additive version for years with our old lady, and the current pair get the jabs. Expensive, but when I hear of folk with hopping houses, I'm glad we do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now