Advanced search

Should I have my cat pts?

(10 Posts)
Maryz Fri 21-Mar-14 21:55:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Mar-14 22:01:26

Cats are the masters at hiding pain or dicomfort - if he's 18, has stopped eating and is having bloody diarrhoea then the odds are that he's feeling pretty awful for some reason and is covering up, as they do. You need to get treatment for him directly.

Have you thought of asking for a home vet visit? Most practices will do that although it's more expensive than a standard practice appointment. In any case, why not phone the practice first thing to discuss?

Maryz Fri 21-Mar-14 22:08:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Fri 21-Mar-14 22:10:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Birdsighland Fri 21-Mar-14 22:22:35

I wonder if the vet would give you the cat equivalent of a valium to give to the cat before you put him into the basket. This would maybe make it less traumatic.

If he's in great pain, I wonder if you could give a day or two or steroid (10mg daily, one 5mg morning and one 5mg night) to make him feel less rotten. Then give the sedative to put into the basket and bring to the vets. When I had my cat pts, the vet offered an injection of sedative before anaesthetic if needed.

Just thoughts. I don't know what order would be appropriate, or even if any are suitable.

If you do pts, you can stroke him and talk gently to him while the injection is being given.

DramaAlpaca Fri 21-Mar-14 22:34:35

Sorry to hear about your cat.

Our vet in Ireland will do home visits, so it might be worth asking around? They will certainly come to the house to put an animal to sleep, I know a few people they've done that for. It's a small rural practice.

It does sound like the poor old fella needs looking at, so although I totally sympathise with you I think your DH is right & he needs to be seen.

At the grand old age of 18 I wouldn't be inclined to allow too much intervention, just non-invasive treatment to manage his symptoms & stop him being in pain.

The vet would be able to give you a good idea of whether to pts or not.

It's a horrible decision to have to make & I feel for you.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Mar-14 22:38:00


From his symptoms and his age, I'd also suspect he's in pain - considerable discomfort at the very least. Your responsibility now is to ensure that the pain is stopped as best you can. I doubt his end would be 'peaceful' if you didn't help in some way.

Birds' suggestion that the vet might agree to give you some appropriate meds for him before vetting has merit in the circumstances - although it would mean that an examination would be more difficult I would have thought.

Why not phone the vet to discuss?

Maryz Fri 21-Mar-14 22:41:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Fri 21-Mar-14 22:43:54

It's a hard time for you all. They become so much part of our lives.

Birdsighland Fri 21-Mar-14 23:04:49

If you don't want to be in a busy waiting room, get the first appointment of the day (or even ask if they can do a little earlier). Be early as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: