Talk

Advanced search

Why is this "new" cat so interested in spraying around our garden/back door?

(8 Posts)
Petal02 Tue 18-Mar-14 09:58:23

We’ve got a 4 yr old female tabby, she is neutered. Over the past week or so, a “new cat on the block” has appeared – I’m assuming this cat is male due to his size, but I’m not sure. This cat seems to have taken a great interest to our garden and our cat. He sits outside our house wailing, we’re always seeing him spraying in the garden, and now he’s started climbing the steps leading up to our back door, spraying on them, rubbing his bum against the back door, and spraying on the (microchip) cat flap. Thank heavens he can’t get in!

He looks far too well fed and groomed to be a stray. So I can’t understand what’s going on – could he be un-neutered, and is pursuing our cat so that he can mate with her? Or as she’s neutered, I assume she won’t give out any mating pheromones (or whatever the term is) in which case surely no males would be interested ?

Or is he just trying to be extremely territorial? Our cat is most put out by all this, it hasn’t stopped her going out and about, thankfully, but she spends ages peering out of the cat flap before she commits herself to going out. And when she comes back in, she hurtles through the flap like the devil’s after her.

We only got our microchip cat flap in autumn of last year, and I’m so pleased with it. I’ve watched countless cats trying (unsuccessfully) to get in. I often wonder if our utility room was the local feline cafeteria, as we now get through a lot less cat food. And interestingly, even though they can’t get in, there’s quite often a cat(s) hanging around our back door.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:27:56

All our females were spayed but one still attracted male attention. Most odd but she could easily see off any male visitors so it wasn't a problem.

thecatneuterer Tue 18-Mar-14 14:00:03

Unneutered males do all sorts of strange things. It could be just territorial. There is also a very slim chance that the vet left behind a small amount of your female cat's uterus (I think it's that - or maybe a bit of ovary - I can't remember) by accident, and consequently she still comes into heat.

It's unlikely, but keep an eye on her in case she starts to display any other signs of being in heat, or if all the local toms start beating a path to her door ...

Migsy1 Tue 18-Mar-14 16:23:03

There is also a very slim chance that the vet left behind a small amount of your female cat's uterus (I think it's that - or maybe a bit of ovary - I can't remember) by accident, and consequently she still comes into heat.

I had a cat where this happened. The incompetent vet left some ovary behind and she came fully into season regularly. She went missing twice and she attracted loads of Toms. It was awful actually for lots of reasons. Eventually, she was given hormone injections to stop it.

I think if she was coming into season she would probably go out and enjoy the company.

Petal02 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:24:17

I certainly don't think our cat was pleased about the extra attention! So basically the "new cat" is a sex pest!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 18-Mar-14 18:45:19

Yes. In double denim & reeking of brut.

Eeeewwww.

He is someone's luffly boy though.

Petal02 Tue 18-Mar-14 19:52:38

He's far too handsome for me to get cross with him, and I love all cats smile

VenusDeWillendorf Wed 19-Mar-14 18:46:06

Try washing down the door with non bio washing powder.

And add a few drops of grapefruit oil into the rinse water.

Loving the image of the double denim brut wearing set pest! Ha! The Fonze!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now