My cat's bum...(10 Posts)
Sorry about this - poo talk over breakfast!
My cat (female, 3yo) has what appears to be some poo sticking out of her bum. Thing is, it's been there for nearly a week, and does seem to have got a bit bigger/longer/sticking out more.
She is 7 weeks pregnant, and otherwise (apart from being a bit grumpy) she is perfectly well in herself. She is pooing and weeing perfectly normally and is eating like a small horse. I have gently touched the offending article and, while she doesn't like me going round her bum, I don't think it's hurting her. But she's starting to think I'm weird and won't let me get close!
I've been waiting for it just to detach or finish coming out, or her clean it up, but I'm not sure how easy she's finding it to get round there at the moment as she's getting quite big. I'm also reluctant to drag her up to the vet to be poked about in her current state. Particularly if they're just going to say it's a bit of a poo!
This is my first time with a pregnant cat and I know that I am a bit of a worrier - do I need to take her to the vet or is it likely to resolve itself? I'm trying to find a balance between being sensible and being too precious...and failing.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
It sounds like a prolapse of some kind but I'm no clinician. I'd vet her directly, especially as she's heavily pregnant.
PS - and this board isn't called The Litter Tray for nothing. Half of our discussions are probably about rear ends!
Thanks cozietoesie - oh god, could it really be a prolapse? She doesn't seem uncomfortable... Oh God, you're right, vet time it is!
Yes I'd take her to the vet. Can I ask why she's not neutered?
Hi catneuterer, of course. I was given my girl because she had had a fall-out with the other resident cats in her previous home and owner had to separate. I wanted more than one cat and decided to let her have a litter to have the best chance that they'll get on. I have a number of offers for kittens, so I know they will be homed well. If I can't be sure of that, they won't be going.
She was bred responsibly with all care to her health and well being, but it's a one-time only event and she will be neutered afterwards, as will the kittens. Honestly, I didn't go into this lightly, I actually feel very strongly about careless breeding/overbreeding.
The thing is Queen, even if you do find homes for your kittens, you're effectively taking homes away from rescues. Kitten season is already upon us and very soon rescues will be completely inundated with kittens. You could have adopted a couple more kittens and they would have got on fine.
I'm really sorry to be a lecturing killjoy, and I realise it's too late now anyway, but if you could see what the rescues are trying to cope with I hope you would have thought twice.
I'm with a relatively small rescue and, when kitten season is in full flood (in about a month) we normally have around 6 to 10 litters of kittens dumped on us in a week - that's around 25 kittens on average. There just aren't enough homes.
We have a no kill policy, but that means that at times we have effectively shut our doors and take only the most dire of emergencies. Other shelters euthanise to make way for the new arrivals. So really every kitten that's born condemns another cat or kitten to either being abandoned somewhere on the street or to being put down.
As I said, your kittens will be taking homes that could have gone to some of these unwanted kittens. You yourself could have adopted a couple of unwanted kittens.
I'm glad that you're not going to make a habit of it, and I really do hate to sound so sanctimonious. I realise it's too late for you but I'm hoping this might change the mind of someone else reading this who is considering doing the same thing. Or maybe you might in the future spread the word that's it's never a good idea to let your cat have kittens.
Apologies again for the lecture.
It's not a gaurantee that they will get on, from about 4 months she will start to try & drive them away by hissing, growling and lashing out at them.
It's natures way of getting her to go into season again. Probably best to keep her in from when she's had the kittens until she is spayed because she can become pg again without having a season.
Hi catneuterer, thanks for your post. I am completely aware of all that you say, in fact I'm more aware of the work of rescues than most, but I won't elaborate as I don't want to out myself. As I said, I did give this a lot of thought, it had second, third and fourth thoughts. And yes, I do actually feel guilty about it. I could sit here and give you all of the elements of the decision-making process, but neither of us probably have the time for that! I take on board everything that you say, and I agree with you in principle, but on this one occasion, I have made a different decision. It won't be happening again (I'm too stressed about it, for a start!).
Fluffy: thanks, as I said above, I'm doing this to give the best chance that they get on, I'm aware there's no guarantee. But I know enough people who have families of cats to know that it can work too. QueenCat is currently an indoor cat and will stay that way until she is neutered, which will happen as soon as the vet is willing to proceed. I am taking no chances.
My cat is a rescue who had to be rehomed because her mother was beating her up.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.