Advanced search

WWYD? 17yr old cat with stage 2 kidney disease

(19 Posts)
Hazelbrowneyes Tue 04-Mar-14 16:41:47

My Mums lovely cat has been diagnosed today with stage 2 kidney disease. She is currently constipated and vomitting. The vet has suggested an ultrasound to check there isn't a blockage in the stomach and then hospitalising for 3-4 days (day hospital only), a second blood test to check the kidney function again then followed by a strict diet.

The cost for all of the above is £509. The cost isn't really a huge issue, I've just mentioned it incase anyone asks.

The cat is 17, hasn't really had any health problems until now and is much loved.

The dilemma is she is old. How much longer will she have left if she received this treatment? It could be years but it could also be months.

My Mum has made the decision to have her PTS to stop her suffering any more pain/discomfort - not an easy decision to make and she's in floods of tears. I've said I'll support her whatever she decides but I fear she's making the wrong choice here.

Originally she said she'd do the ultrasound but not the kidney treatment as she's sure there is a stomach issue. I asked how she'd feel if the ultrasound showed nothing and she said she didn't know. The only thing we both know is the cat cannot continue like this - she's in pain and is suffering. She either needs the treatment, or she needs to be PTS.

She wants me to call the vets because she just keeps crying but I can't do it. I really, really can't. I've spent the entire day in tears myself and I've got no work done.

Is she making the right choice? Should I just go with it or should I try to get her to treat the cat?

Anyone have any experience of stage 2 kidney disease?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit of a mess sad

hellymelly Tue 04-Mar-14 16:47:39

I really would not have any animal pts without getting the full and complete picture from the vet. I think your Mum is in a panic, and is finding it really distressing and so wants it over, but it may not be time for the cat to go. I've had cats with kidney disease and they each got an extra year or two on a restricted diet .One cat had bouts of sickness but would bounce back for a month or two before another bout. It was clear when things really had reached an end-point and I would ask the vet for her opinion on that if you are unsure.Get all the tests done, then take time to make a decision along with your vet.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 04-Mar-14 16:50:27

I would pts.

Anniegoestotown Tue 04-Mar-14 16:59:36

Darling cat had kidney disease at 11. After initial treatment and prognosis of only 1 year left, he had to go back for injections, at first every 10 days, which were then extended to 2 then 3 weeks then eventually after several years he was down to every 6 months. By the time of his death 10 years later at the age of about 22. He was clear of any kidney problems despite vet saying that the kidneys don't repair themselves.

I hope this helps. Really feel for your dilemma.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Mar-14 17:20:15

Iris stage 2 kidney disease with no other problems managed with meds etc. the cat could easily live another 2 years. Equally there is nothing wrong with saying goodbye.

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 04-Mar-14 18:33:26

Thank you all.
Spoke to vet again, it's likely she has a more serious problem in her stomach too as she keeps squatting yet cannot poo. They can scan but they wouldn't advise operating on her. Her quality of life right now is poor so the kindest thing to do is PTS. All booked for Friday morning. If she poos beforehand then we can reassess.

I'm heartbroken.

Migsy1 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:14:09

Oh dear, I'm sorry but it does sound like the poor cat is very ill xx

lljkk Tue 04-Mar-14 19:22:37

I was thinking PTS from the first post and even more so from the last one (sorry).
She's very lucky to have had such a long & good quality innings. Don't spoil that now.

Helpyourself Tue 04-Mar-14 19:24:38

I think I'd pts. But I've never been tested.

Catsmamma Tue 04-Mar-14 19:26:23

I would absolutely say it's time to call time.

Even if you go ahead with the tests or op there'll be weeks/months of treatment or convalescence, I don't think it is very fair to a very elderly cat.

Greenrememberedhills Tue 04-Mar-14 19:26:54


Hazelbrowneyes Wed 05-Mar-14 08:27:53

Typically she's now stopped the squatting hmm

My mum is going to see how she is today but unless there is a dramatic improvement, we're still going to PTS on Friday. Either way, we'll keep the appointment Friday morning even if it's just to discuss further with the vet. The vet has been fantastic. Very understanding and very helpful.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Mar-14 08:30:48

Has she pooed though?

Hazelbrowneyes Wed 05-Mar-14 08:55:44

Not since the early hours of yesterday morning, no.

cozietoesie Wed 05-Mar-14 09:02:04

Ach well. Poor lass.

Spickle Wed 05-Mar-14 13:34:48

My 15 year old cat has kidney disease. He is having one tablet a day and a renal diet which seems to be working at the moment and he's a happy cat not in any pain. He did vomit quite a bit before treatment but that has eased now.

I think you have to go with your gut instinct. I would be inclined to have the scan just to see if there is a blockage although if she's in a lot of pain with little quality of life, then maybe letting her go would be the kindest option.

Thoughts are with you

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 11-Mar-14 12:48:32

Just thought I'd update as you were all so kind.

She is still with us! grin She has dramatically improved over the last few days and has had 3 good days in a row now. No vomiting and the squatting has stopped (we now know she was squatting to wee, not poo) and she isn't constipated anymore. A few days of her weeing all over the house but that's stopped too.

The vet was bloody useless. My poor mum has paid £410, not been given any receipts (until yesterday when she asked for a breakdown of the account and it only comes to £380 hmm) and the vet has just been trying to get more and more money out of her. The latest is a visit to the nurse every week for medication at a cost of £33 a time. My mum has refused this as the cat gets stressed going to the vets.

Also, where the vet had taken blood, the cat has scratched her skin and it was a bit sore. The vet decided to roughly scrub all the scabs off her and then use neat hibiscrub on her neck and face. Luckily my mums friend told her not to use it neat before she started using it but the cat now has chemical burns sad The poor thing looks a complete state but my mum has spoken to another vet and they have advised salt water to soothe and this is already helping.

Overall the cat is much happier at the moment. She's lost a bit of weight but she's on the correct food now which is helping and she's taking the tablets she needs to without much fuss.

I am just furious with the vet who pretty much admitted she thought that the cat was insured and that was why she was suggesting so much treatment. We're now registering with a different vet who has been highly recommended and was very helpful on the phone.

hellymelly Tue 11-Mar-14 14:43:03

That is really good news. That was my experience with my cats too (the rallying at death's door, not the crap vet!). I really think she could have a couple more years, but be prepared for bad patches within that. Hope your new vet is better.

Migsy1 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:57:48

Brilliant news for kitty. I hope you can come to some agreement with the vet over the poor care and charges!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: