Talk

Advanced search

Cats on the sofa?

(14 Posts)
teenagetantrums Fri 28-Feb-14 18:09:08

Was just on another thread about dogs on sofa's. Some people on that that thread were saying they had cats that were not allowed on the furniture, seems odd to me but how would that even work? Do any of you have cats that not allowed on the furniture? the only place my cats are not supposed to be are the shelves with the photo frames as they knock them off, but to be honest if I turn my back they are up there, how do you even stop a cat sitting on the sofasmile

MrsPnut Fri 28-Feb-14 18:19:27

Our cat is not allowed on the dining table but I still find her on there occasionally. She knows she shouldn't be there because she jumps down when she sees me but still does it.

We'd have no luck with the rest of the furniture.

BerylStreep Fri 28-Feb-14 18:21:41

Surely they just sit wherever they want?

I am trying to train mine not to jump on the worktops, with liberal use of water spray. They do jump off as soon as they see the water spray lifted, but it doesn't stop them jumping up in the first place.

Floralnomad Fri 28-Feb-14 18:26:12

My mum has an indoor Ragdoll and he won't share the sofa so everyone else has to get off when he wants to sit on it .

teenagetantrums Fri 28-Feb-14 18:26:14

mine sleep where they want that's why i was amazed when people on the dog thread said their cats were not allowed on the sofa, how do you even stop that? not that I would want to stop my boys getting on the sofa.

PowderMum Fri 28-Feb-14 18:30:54

As the poem goes

Cats sleep anywhere, any table, any chair.
Top of piano, window-ledge, in the middle, on the edge.
Open drawer, empty shoe, anybody’s lap will do.
Fitted in a cardboard box, in the cupboard with your frocks.
Anywhere! They don’t care! Cats sleep anywhere.

I've never had any success with training mine

NettoSuperstar Fri 28-Feb-14 18:33:09

My cats go wherever they want.

thiswaytothebeach Fri 28-Feb-14 18:35:02

My cats are 14 years old im just glad they are happy on me dh or the settee

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 28-Feb-14 19:02:38

My cat doesn't but he's locked out of the room so he stands looking through the patio doors with an expression of outrage on his face.

Lovethesea Fri 28-Feb-14 20:01:31

We regularly have to squish up because Huntercat has taken up half our sofa. Mad Tortie also likes to snooze on it at times if I am not providing a lap.

But they aren't on there all the time as they are also busy sleeping on my bed, Dd's bed, DS's bed, a fleece blanket on the windowsill or occasionally the floor.

When we discussed getting cats I told DH one of my conditions was that they would be allowed to sleep on the bed with us if they wanted to. Growing up we had dogs that weren't allowed upstairs and I always wanted a pet to sleep on my bed as company and warmth.

I can't see how you'd stop them apart from shutting them out of rooms. Ours sleep all over the place, but luckily (so far) not on our beds. I'm the opposite of Lovethesea one of my conditions of getting cats was that they are not going to be sleeping on our bed (not at night anyway, they can do what they like when I'm not there). They can sleep in our room, just not on the bed.

issey6cats Fri 28-Feb-14 21:25:26

mine sleep all over the sofa in a long line or half of it in a huddle, small girl cat has discovered the top of the boiler is lovely and warm when the heating is on, the only place they are not allowed is in my bedroom, love them to bits but my bedroom is MY room not theirs, in the summer my big ginger and white long haired hooligan sleeps in the bath because its cooler than the sofa

DramaAlpaca Fri 28-Feb-14 21:30:43

When we first adopted a kitten DH (who is not a cat person & had never lived with one) insisted it was only to be allowed in the kitchen & nowhere else in the house.

After a while this progressed to the cat being allowed anywhere downstairs, but it wasn't to go upstairs.

Then DH decreed that the cat could go anywhere it liked, but it wasn't allowed on beds.

He eventually gave up making rules about the cat grin

cozietoesie Fri 28-Feb-14 21:33:14

Apart from bed, my Siamese boys only go where I sit so it doesn't arise, really. If it did, though (eg with the non-Siamese) I wouldn't worry. They try to keep by the house rules so well that I don't like to give them too many to follow. I would compromise on that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now