Talk

Advanced search

Wee......

(4 Posts)
Watto1 Fri 28-Feb-14 10:38:19

I have a 13 year old neutered Tom. The last two mornings I have come downstairs to a kitchen stinking of cat pee. He has never peed anywhere but outside or in the litter tray before. His catflap is locked overnight so it isn't another cat. He has access to a litter tray.

Any ideas why he has suddenly started to do this? He is his usual self in all other ways and doesn't appear ill at all. He's due his annual jabs next week so I will obviously mention it to the vet then, but any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

cozietoesie Fri 28-Feb-14 11:34:08

But have you possibly seen any new cats on the block? (I'm wondering if it's either possible that another cat is getting in during the day when you may not be there (and leaving scent to unsettle him) or if there's eg a new mean tom leaving scent on the outside of the door where the smell will drift through.) Have you noticed him sniffing at or hanging around by his flap at all?

(Good idea to mention to the vet next week however.)

Watto1 Fri 28-Feb-14 11:38:46

Thanks for the reply! I haven't noticed any new cats around but I'll keep my eyes open. The pee is definitely in the kitchen and not outside though.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Feb-14 11:47:29

Maybe try an extra litter tray as well. Some cats like to have two. (Seniorboy was very tolerant as a youngster (he had to be) but since he came to me at 13 has been a regular fusspot and likes to have two which are cleaned directly he uses them.)

I know your boy is spraying as opposed to weeing but assuming there's no physical issue, spraying in these circumstances is likely a sign that he's unhappy about something so you just have to work out what it is that's upsetting him.

(Thank your stars that he's neutered as well. The smell of mature tomcat pee is a whole different ballgame.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now