Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a cat that does this?

(13 Posts)
RubbishMantra Wed 26-Feb-14 11:18:56

I've searched old threads for this but nothing came up. A few months back our 3y/o male cat began to get, erm, amorous with both DH and me (mostly me though) also with clothes we have worn.

It's not easy to discourage him, he is very determined. We pick him up, placing him on the floor with a firm "NO", but he'll keep trying for hours at an end. He was neutered at 6 months, and never shown this type of behaviour before. He's begun showing interest in friends that visit blush

Does anybody else have a cat who behaves in such a way?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 26-Feb-14 13:18:11

Does he stand over you piece of clothing in his mouth padding his feet? If so this is comfort behaviour and not amorous.

derektheladyhamster Wed 26-Feb-14 13:21:40

oh yes, our neutered Tom pads with his paws, getting more and more excited, his back legs go funny grin . If you try and move him, he yowls like anything. Occasionally he grabs your wrist or arm with his mouth.

derektheladyhamster Wed 26-Feb-14 13:24:26

All started when we bought a sherpa fleece blanket, now he's moved onto any kind of blanket! First started when he was 2.5 yrs

Fontofnowt Wed 26-Feb-14 13:24:26

Mine does this lots of very determined padding that leads to humping.
He went through a phase when it was every night after I had fallen asleep so had to make him sleep on the landing.
Now he just does it to knitting.

Mine has a cuddly teddy bear we call 'Mr Shagnasty'. You wouldn't believe the yowling that accompanies the teddy-humping.
He's an elderly neutered tabby, too.

mypussyiscalledCaramel Wed 26-Feb-14 13:51:39

I had a cat that did this.

I had bought an artificial tail keyring when I went on holiday. He accosted it and proceeded to hump it. I then went and got myself a new one.

RubbishMantra Wed 26-Feb-14 14:32:41

Yes derek, exactly as you describe! He starts off with the kneading more enthusiastically than usual, sometimes biting down on the fabric, then his tail stiffens and his back legs twitch, culminating with his hips doing the Rhumba grin. It all started when I bought a fluffy black and white onesie, the same colours as him. Perhaps he thinks i am a giant cat!

He does have a preference for fleecy type fabrics, but experiments with sweaters and towelling bathrobes. He can get quite angry when I stop him. We think it may be a dominance thing? He has just about every neuroses a cat can have - tail sucking, OCD about his grooming, irrational phobias...

RubbishMantra Wed 26-Feb-14 14:47:38

Fontofnowt, mine goes through stages. I had a couple of days with the 'flu, spent on the sofa underneath a fluffy blanket. He took full advantage of the blanket all morning, only stopping for a snooze break to re-charge his batteries. I wonder what sets him off?

Now he just does it to knitting. Hahaha! Caught him having a sneaky go on DH's lovely new woolly sweater the other day!

Germgirl Wed 26-Feb-14 14:59:20

My feline idiot does this. On any fleecy or soft material, especially my fleece dressing gown blush
He pads his feet, all 4, not just the front ones, his face takes on a trance like look, he then stiffens his tail, shudders & then goes in to full on hump mode. When he's finished he sits down, chucks a back leg in the air & sits there licking his 'lipstick', which is fully 'out' by this time. He's utterly revolting & if I ever leave my dressing gown on the floor I daren't wear it again till I've washed it.
He's a 9 year old neutered male.
Dirty beast! smile

NorbertDentressangle Wed 26-Feb-14 15:02:32

pmsl at "Mr Shagnasty" grin

A friend had a cat who used to do this to his jumpers. Nothing else, just knitted jumpers.

derektheladyhamster Wed 26-Feb-14 16:35:38

Mine also enjoys sucking his nipple when he comes and sits on my knee. Weird bunch of cats we own grin

Fuzzymum1 Wed 26-Feb-14 20:19:39

One of my boys does exactly as RubbishMantra describes with anything fleecy - he particularly likes my bright pink micro fleece blanket but any fleece will do - If we kick him off he starts furiously licking at his bits until his toes twitch and his eyes roll!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now