Talk

Advanced search

Cat allergy?

(3 Posts)
FernieB Wed 26-Feb-14 11:16:56

I'm not a cat owner so thought I would pick the expert brains here grin

I regularly visit someone who has an elderly cat. The last 5 or 6 times I've been there my eyes have started to water and itch. The only thing I can think of is that it could be the cat - he's lovely and very cuddly and quite often curls up on my knee. I'm just wondering if it's possible for someone to start being allergic to cats even if they've never had any problems before. I've never owned a cat but have always been on stroking terms with neighbours cats with no ill effects so it seems odd that it should suddenly start. I'm hoping it's something else as I like cats and don't want to have to start avoiding them.

Any expert advice is welcome.

issey6cats Wed 26-Feb-14 12:58:23

it could be that one cat certainly sounds like a reaction to him, i have four cats and only one of them starts my eyes itching my girl cat and only recently and i have owned her for over seven years, my daughter is fine with her own cat but reacts to jo jo the same cat i react to when she visits my house, the reason you react is there is an enzyme in cat saliva that causes the reaction and because cats lick themselves clean its hard avoiding the reactant, all i can suggest before you go to your friends house take an antihistamine like piriton and make sure you wash your hands if you stroke him

FernieB Wed 26-Feb-14 15:57:39

Thanks Issey. I shall take some piriton next time and see if that's better. Am relieved to know it could just be that one cat - he is lovely though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now