Talk

Advanced search

Do kittens calm down once they can go outside?

(13 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:43:33

Hiya
My lovely little man is about 16-18 weeks old. We've had him from 12 weeks old.

Usually very affectionate etc, but last few days has been aggressive and scratching and biting me, DH and DS. Also constantly running round the house and scavenging for food even though he getting the amount of food suggested on back of food box.

He's not been outside yet as he's not been neutered yet.

Will his behaviour calm down once he had been neutered and he can go outside?

I'm asking because I'm 3 months pregnant and obviously don't want him attacking new baby when it arrives x

cozietoesie Mon 24-Feb-14 18:46:44

He'll hopefully calm down a bit when he's neutered and then a bit more as he gets more mature. There's no absolute guarantee - but what you have at the moment is the equivalent of a teenager who is likely full of coursing hormones. Grit your teeth.

When is he to get his snip?

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:48:27

The vet said at 6 months old, but I thought they could be allowed at 5 months?

cozietoesie Mon 24-Feb-14 18:51:28

If they're healthy and a decent weight, sure and sometimes a bit earlier than that. But it depends on the vet - some of them have a policy of 'not till 6 months'. I'd see if you can talk to the practice and maybe get them to do it earlier.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:57:01

Yes, he'll calm right down. I suggested getting dh done but he's not going for it sad

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:57:37

I'm just desperate to let him outside and play in the day. Would shut him in at night. He needs to burn off the energy and quite frankly he's exshausting me more than DS does :-)

cozietoesie Mon 24-Feb-14 18:57:59

grin

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Feb-14 19:14:05

Once he is castrated & going out hunting everything that moves, and bringing it home for show and chase, your only problem will be getting him in.

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 24-Feb-14 19:17:00

:-)

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 24-Feb-14 20:42:06

In my experience, it's only age that calms them down at all, and our two still have moments of madness often in the middle of the night at age 9.

Teapot74 Fri 28-Feb-14 06:47:41

I have 2 X 4 1/2 month old bengals. The vet said 6 months but they were going bonkers so rang vet last week and they said they would look to see if they weighed enough and that they had descended. They had so they did them yesterday, going out Saturday!!!! Yeah! Really feel that they need to run off some steam smile

cozietoesie Fri 28-Feb-14 06:55:36

2 young Bengal males? You're braver than I am.

Teapot74 Fri 28-Feb-14 11:35:18

Others have said the same cozietoes but so far mine have been lovely. They play a lot together so imagine that works off a fair amount of steam. Or maybe trouble is around the corner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now