Talk

Advanced search

Wheezy snuffly boy

(6 Posts)
Wordsaremything Mon 24-Feb-14 17:29:07

My darling rescue cat has always had an issue with sniffles and sneezes and has had several courses of antibiotics. At one point the vet thought he had a potentially cancerous lump in his throat which was removed. This didn't stop the occasional wheezing and snuffling however. Is it something to worry about or is he maybe a bit snuffly/ asthmatic by nature?

He's very well in himself apart from that - not lethargic or off his food or anything. Am I right to not be too worried? ( triggers to put him through the trauma of a car ride to the vet would be lethargy, sneezing, dull coat, off his food or any combo of these).

Maybe diet is an issue? He's fed a variety of pouch food and a very limited amount of whiskas dry. He thieves though too, do not sure what else he is dining out on.

Don't go in for artificial air fresheners or anything like that . Noticed it came on one time when I had a bunch of lilies in the house - then read up on their potential toxicity so no more lilies for me !

Any advice anyone?

nerdynonmom Mon 24-Feb-14 22:56:51

I'm so sorry no one has responded to you yet! I don't have extensive experience with the subject, but when my cats first came from the shelter as kittens, they had a bad cold and were coughing and sneezing a lot. They got over it in a week's time. Now they get a cold about once a year, and it's never cause for distress.

Your guy's problem seems to be more chronic though. What did your vet say about it? Also try asking the community at http://www.catster.com.

cozietoesie Mon 24-Feb-14 23:06:52

It's highly likely, I would have thought, to be some residual low level cat flu knocking around his respiratory system. Seniorboy gets the sneezes fairly regularly if his immune system is below par (which is quite frequent given his age.) It can be a condition for life and not a lot to do about it other than keeping him warm and dry (from my own experience.)

Seniorboy has had the odd AB jab to clear up upper respiratory infections which got really uncomfortable for him and wouldn't shift - and some gingivitis - which have worked well and he's now 19 so living with it OK. Keep an eye on your lad's teeth though. Cats with a lingering infection can get trouble with them.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 25-Feb-14 07:43:16

These 'snorking cats' almost always have residual flu in the form of herpes virus or calicivirus. There is lots of evidence that giving them daily probiotics can help to increase the time between episodes lysine can also help, but the benefit of probiotics is greater than lysine and it is not recommended to give both.

cozietoesie Tue 25-Feb-14 08:31:09

Interestingly, I give Seniorboy lysine (I got it for him before I knew about probiotics so I'm using it up - and it's a large tub) and it does seem to be helping him. Only judging with hindsight because it's one of those gradual things rather than a Wham Bam medicine but he does seem to be snuffling and sneezing a lot less since he was on it.

(It's pretty palatable as well - tasted neutral if very slightly salty to me - so it's just a few grains scattered on and worked into his food morning and evening. He eats it without moaning, anyway.)

It didn't prevent a big extended bout of snotty nose and sneezing over Xmas (which required an AB Jab from the vet to get under control) but it does seem to help the low level stuff.

Wordsaremything Tue 25-Feb-14 19:26:01

Thanks so much everyone. I think the underlying infection thing is probably right- and it is worse when he gets cold and wet.

Didn't know you could get probiotics for cats! Any recommendations? Will google also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now