Talk

Advanced search

For the want of a worming tablet

(11 Posts)
Lonecatwithkitten Mon 24-Feb-14 14:08:02

I just wanted to remind people of how important worming is. Today we have had to do major surgery on a cat whose intestines were blocked by tapeworm. Regular worming would have saved the cat pain and misery and the owner hundreds of pounds.

cozietoesie Mon 24-Feb-14 15:08:18

Sheez. I didn't know that their innards could actually be blocked. Timely advice, Lone.

Is his situation looking OK?

SpanielFace Mon 24-Feb-14 15:29:24

Eek. Vet here. How horrible! Was it a kitten or an adult cat?

I totally agree by the way, the number of good, caring clients who come for boosters and haven't wormed their pet since the previous year is frightening. I normally tell them about toxocara and blindness. I'll add this to the list now.

Hope the cat is ok.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 24-Feb-14 16:40:54

Adult cat three years old female. One of the tapeworms removed was nearly 10 inches long.

Hoppinggreen Mon 24-Feb-14 16:45:42

Bloody hell, I've been a ( responsible) cat owner for almost 30 years and I didn't know they got tapeworms!!!
Thanks for the info - will send DH to pet shop for dewormer on his way home this evening.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 24-Feb-14 17:05:51

Hopping you really need a good quality wormer like drontal or milbemax.

yetanotherworry Tue 25-Feb-14 20:59:49

How often should we be worming? I do it every 12 weeks but have read that hunters should be wormed more frequently so not sure anymore.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Feb-14 10:53:34

I just had the tape measure out for something and, remembering this thread, I measured out 10 inches. That is vile. Poor cat.

Here's some advice on worming, yet. Probably best to read it after you've eaten lunch.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Feb-14 10:59:21

Sorry - I just noticed that that guidance suggests every 1-3 months which doesn't help you much on your specific question. Myself, I used to worm every couple of months for a hunter but ideally you could do with a vet's advice. (Lone or Spaniel may comment later.)

Fuzzymum1 Wed 26-Feb-14 20:23:10

We use droncit spot on every two months. Two of ours are ipossible to give pills to so we use the spot on for all seven of them.

Lovethesea Fri 28-Feb-14 20:05:59

My vet advised monthly for my hunting tabby as he brings us things daily and eats a lot of birds and small mammals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now