Talk

Advanced search

My kitten's feet smell

(10 Posts)
BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 23-Feb-14 10:51:34

She's an indoor cat. They smell like little tiny human feet. Is this normal?

I do find it quite cute, especially when she was tiny, but cats don't sweat (do they?) so I don't understand it really.

Mogz Sun 23-Feb-14 10:59:27

Cats can only sweat through their paw pads, as evidenced by my poor ginger wuss puss when we take him to the vet, he leaves paw shaped puddles!

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 23-Feb-14 11:02:57

Ahhhhhh, okay, that probably explains it then smile

Bless her!

cozietoesie Sun 23-Feb-14 11:47:23

How old is she? (I'm wondering whether she was taught to wash herself properly by Mom. She should be 'sucking' her toes - including the in-between bits - on a regular basis.)

cozietoesie Sun 23-Feb-14 11:52:45

PS - how is she on washing other bits?

Catsmamma Sun 23-Feb-14 11:55:53

we have had lots of cats and some of them have whiffy feet and some of them don't :D

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 23-Feb-14 12:58:23

I do see her washing her feet sometimes, although it kind of looks more like she is biting on her toes, rather than sucking IYKWIM.

I think she's quite good at washing generally, her fur smells lovely. Although she did leave her Mum at 7 weeks, so she might not have learnt all she needed to know.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 23-Feb-14 12:59:36

She's 8 months old now.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Feb-14 14:08:07

If she has a pattern to her washing (eg 10 minutes after eating, say) I think I'd be tempted to dampen between her toes with a wet lint free cloth before that - if she'll permit it. (And actually as an indoor cat it would do her no harm to be accustomed to having her paws handled so that you can nip claw tips if necessary and without stramash.) That might give her encouragement to make cleaning that area part of her grooming.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 23-Feb-14 22:11:19

Oh goodness, I haven't noticed a particular pattern, I'm not sure she's that switched on! (or maybe I'm not).

I will try the damp cloth and see if that makes her pay some attention to them.

Thanks (again) for your advice, Cozie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now