Talk

Advanced search

Cat Collars.

(5 Posts)
Pipbin Sun 23-Feb-14 09:20:00

Our cat is 1 year old but only came to us about a month ago.
She is very clingy and likes to be wherever we are but she has just worked out how to get outside on her own (it's a complicated afair that involves 2 cat flaps a tunnels through walls).
However she is struggling to work out how to get back in.
I'm worried about going to work and her getting lost outside. Although she is chipped I think in ID disc would be easier to use if she got lost.
However, she climbs along the fence between our garden and next door. Next door never use their garden and it is an over grown mess of brambles. I'm worried that if she had a collar and fell into next doors garden than she might get stuck.

TL;DR Are collars a good idea and might a cat get stuck because they've got one on?

Follyfoot Sun 23-Feb-14 09:23:31

We have quick release collars on our two. They are this make. They definitely work as boy cat has come home twice minus his collar grin

Pipbin Sun 23-Feb-14 09:31:20

Thanks. They look good. Great price as well so if they do come off it's not a load of money to replace.
And a bell!
I hate the thought if her getting lost. She is my shameless baby substitute after failed IVF.

lookdeepintotheparka Sun 23-Feb-14 09:32:25

We decided against it because of some good advice on here. Apparently even quick release collars are not that safe when it comes to car accidents etc. Ours is chipped and I'm hoping that if she was lost, most people now know about microchipping.

Hopefully she'll get used to her access routes in and out with a bit more practice - I know I worried a lot about ours when she first started going out as we also have a neighbour with a derelict garden nearby.

thecatneuterer Sun 23-Feb-14 15:18:02

Here is the recent collar thread
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1969133-Collars-pros-and-cons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now