Talk

Advanced search

Poorly cat. Advice please?

(10 Posts)
Honeybear30 Wed 19-Feb-14 11:11:48

My first post in pets, hoping for some help. My cat hasn't eaten for coming up to 48 hours now and I'm not sure how much water she's taking either. She has also vomited 3 times. I have her booked into the vets this evening as I know this is best. But my question is, should I be trying to feed her anything to get her to eat or should I just leave her? I know with dogs you can give them chicken and rice when they have a bad tummy but I don't know about cats. Any advice gratefully received!

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 12:02:24

If she would take something like chicken that would be fine although getting liquid (water) into her (unless she has actually been drinking) is arguably more important.

How old is she and is she normally in good health? Oh - and does the vet know the situation? (I'm wondering whether they could give you an earlier appointment than this evening if she's poorly.)

What is her current attitude like? (eg does she seem normal or is she sitting hunched or something like that.)

Honeybear30 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:01:03

Thanks for the reply smile she is 6 and normally in good health. She doesn't go outside and is behaving quite normally. Apart from perhaps being a little more reluctant to bound down the stairs, more just sauntering. But she is happily curled up with me and purring away. Which is why I didn't push for an earlier appointment. Any ideas on how I could persuade her to drink?

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 13:57:49

At this stage, I think I would just ensure the water is around close by and see what the vet thinks this evening.

Best of luck and let us know how she gets on.

Honeybear30 Wed 19-Feb-14 17:26:52

So just got home without my poorly kitty. They're unsure what's wrong so need to run bloods. They're keeping her overnight. Hopefully will find out what's wrong soon.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 17:37:28

Fingers crossed for her. Was she dehydrated when you got there?

Honeybear30 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:15:42

Yes that's why they wanted to keep her in so she can go on a drip. He said she was in pain but I'm no so sure, I think she just doesn't like her tummy being touched and she just didn't like him either! She is very particular about who she likes!

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 18:48:03

I thought they might put her on a drip. And I'd listen to your vet on the feeling pain bit - they get very used to the various symptoms.

Anyway - she's in the best place for now. When will they be getting back to you?

Honeybear30 Wed 19-Feb-14 19:50:38

Just heard. She's got pancreatitis. So fluids and antibiotics and should be able to collect her tomorrow evening. Thanks for staying in touch today smile

timtam23 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:34:56

Poor kitty. Taking her to the vet was a good call! Hopefully she'll be feeling much better tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now