Talk

Advanced search

cat - kidney problems

(17 Posts)
HelloBoys Wed 19-Feb-14 11:01:28

My 17 year old cat was taken to vets by me yesterday morning and then saw vet later and she has kidney failure/damage high in blood results. I posted re her drinking water yesterday but she didn't seem well and was violently sick (which didn't mention yesterday).

Last night she collapsed, took to emergency vet - vet thought maybe stroke but said not to put to sleep and she needed liquids so on drip and being transferred to normal vet today.

My mum who lives nearby has said she'll collect cat from vet this morning ( I can't take more time off work yet, work already annoyed with me) if she is able to come home.

anyone have any advice/ideas? Apparently cat may have to stay in my vets today and overnight.

sad

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 12:05:31

Not really, Hello. She's in the best place at the moment but I know it's Hell for everyone concerned. (I've had cats with kidney failure/damage myself.)

I don't think there's anything you can do now until the vet gives you a view on her condition. When should you know more?

Spickle Wed 19-Feb-14 13:36:06

Sorry to hear this. No advice, just wanted to offer support. My cat, 15 years, was diagnosed with kidney disease yesterday. He has to take a tablet once a day now and go on a low salt, low phosphate diet. I am fearful for him, he is such a loving, friendly cat and I hate that this is happening to him. Your cat is in the best place with professionals who know what to do. They will guide any decisions you have to make and I'm sure you want your cat to be happy and comfortable and not suffering at all.

HelloBoys Wed 19-Feb-14 13:39:18

cozie - an update as my mum collected him from vet and is now at my flat with her looking after her. Cat seems calmer now, not in pain, has some steroids and painkillers but they're waiting for her to eat/drink and we will see how she goes. thanks.

HelloBoys Wed 19-Feb-14 13:40:28

oh and her levels of things to do with kidneys (can't recall what they are) are NOT high - they're higher than normal but not danger level high so vet said not to put to sleep etc. apparently she seems happier and was good (personable) at vets. Poor thing though in emergency vets, ambulance this morning and my vets today!

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 14:00:26

Well that's slightly better news. Has the vet given any further info/advice on her situation or are you to phone and have a chat or something?

HelloBoys Wed 19-Feb-14 14:04:13

cozie - I spoke to the vet and he said there were 2 ranges for the kidneys (blood tests) can't recall what it was, but the vet said her levels were way under what they would be if she was seriously ill.

my mum has kindly agreed to go round for a few hours a day until the cat feels better (I can't really take time off work at short notice but got next Monday/Tuesday off). It's a case of cat (Sooty) feeling better, she's sitting for now may buy her a new cat bed.

Emergency vet was saying she'd had stroke but my normal vet said it's v hard to tell when cat has seizure. he just said to let her go out in garden as normal. I am ringing vet after work/later for further chat.

thanks so much to both of you! and spickle - didn't mention tablets for cat but maybe she's too old and she has heart murmur (untreated) too. flowers

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 14:13:33

Seniorboy, who is older than your girl, had what I think was a little stroke about a year ago and has recovered completely. (I just kept things very calm and ordered and he got over his problems.)

Best of luck to her anyway. She's an older girl so you'll be faced with the prospect of things happening - but if she's happy, that's the important thing.

Let us know how your vet chat goes.

HelloBoys Wed 19-Feb-14 14:14:59

cozie thanks for that! nice to know someone who empathises.

Spickle Wed 19-Feb-14 16:13:26

helloboys, my cat also has an untreated heart murmur. It's what has prompted various tests with the diagnosis of kidney disease. I think it's all connected, because vet also mentioned heart rate, high blood pressure and losing weight too!

On a positive note though, the vet says it's possible to delay the process by taking the tablet and keeping to the diet!

HelloBoys Wed 19-Feb-14 16:15:23

Spickle - I think she's a bit old and the kidney disease too far gone to give tablets.

apparently she hasn't eaten all day and hardly drank anything so leaving work soon to take her to vet.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 19-Feb-14 16:26:33

Hello boys I'm a little confused the vet has said that values are not too high, but not suitable for the meds? The tablet that is being spoken of (though I prefer the new liquid) is suitable for all cats with renal failure it helps to slow progress so if your cats BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine are a elevated it would be most suitable for these drugs which help to promote appetite too.
Regarding getting your cat eating smelly foods are best tuna, pilchards and freshly cooked chicken are all excellent things to try.
Kidney problems actually carry a really good prognosis in most cats and they live several years after diagnosis with appropriate management.

HelloBoys Thu 20-Feb-14 09:31:22

Hi - when I went to vet last night she'd gone downhill more her bloods were very low and vet said she was dying so made sad decision to put her to sleep and buried in garden last night.

sad sad

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:44:53

Oh no that's awful. You gave her a long life though and must have taken very good care of her to get her to 17.

cozietoesie Thu 20-Feb-14 11:21:56

So sorry, Hello.

Spickle Thu 20-Feb-14 11:28:32

So sorry. Treasure those happy memories you have of her and she will live on forever in your heart.

Fuzzymum1 Fri 21-Feb-14 19:09:59

One of ours had a nasty kidney infection a couple of years ago and it was touch and go whether she'd make it. Several days in the vet on a drip and then a return visit a week or so later for another 24 hours on a drip and she was out of the woods. She's been on a special diet with medication and a phosphate binder called renalzin and she's doing really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now