Talk

Advanced search

cat drinking from pond, ok?

(5 Posts)
HelloBoys Tue 18-Feb-14 13:11:04

Just taken cat to vet (17 years old) she has small lump on thyroid gland but otherwise well.

about 2 years ago had to have a lot of teeth taken out (apart from front/fangs) and she now has Sheba pate.

During the day in the morning I let her into garden she drinks from puddles and the pond (pond is safe...) is this doing her harm especially the pond? No, no chemicals in the pond not bit (2 bits) she drinks from.

she was very sick this morning so took to vet... poor love.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 18-Feb-14 13:15:51

My cats will drink from puddles, buckets, taps anything. Never seemed to bother them. What do we think they drink in the wild?

HelloBoys Tue 18-Feb-14 13:20:51

Ohwhat - that's the thing - she didn't drink before from puddles (or not that I noticed) and rarely from her water bowl. Now she laps it up - she had Felix with jelly before so I think she got her water from that.

I'm just wondering if the pond stuff may be stagnant etc

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:20:18

I don't think they'd drink stagnant water out of choice so she must like the taste.

Ours drinks from a bowl but only because I got really strict about loo seats being down all the time.

pepperrabbit Tue 18-Feb-14 20:23:41

My cat will drink almost anything except tap water. I leave bowls outside to catch rainwater and have sneakily filled them up when it's hot (if anyone remembers "hot"!)
My elderly cat has hyperthyroidism and being v thirsty was an early sign, but I assume the vet checked for that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now