Talk

Advanced search

My little girl is being neutered this week. what should I expect?

(27 Posts)
EustaciaVye Mon 17-Feb-14 07:23:55

when boycat was done years ago, he wasvup and about pretty quickly. I know this is a bigger op though.

Any tips welcome smile

cozietoesie Mon 17-Feb-14 07:46:30

It's difficult to tell, the effects of a GA being so individual to the particular animal. She might shrug the whole thing off - or she might be off-colour for days and wanting to lick her stiches so badly that she has to wear a cone of shame. (And anything in between.)

All my boys have been sent loopy by GAs - they go quite daft, wanting to walk and jump around in a stupid fashion (because they're not really up to it) before flaking out at about 10 o'clock. I usually keep then in one warm room and stay there with a book or something to do to keep an eye on them. Some food (although they don't always want any) and plenty of water. And a nice warm fleece or blanket to conk out on.

The vet will probably give her a cone to wear so I'd leave that on and see how it goes. Maybe come back if you need advice when you see what she's like on return.

goodtimesarecoming Mon 17-Feb-14 07:48:55

Neutering now is a really quick procedure, the wound is only about 2 cm, so often 2-4 stitches. I work in a vets practice where we spay lots of feral cats and 99% are up and back to normal an hour after waking up so i wouldn't worry smile

mrsnec Mon 17-Feb-14 07:57:18

Hi, I was really worried when we had our little stripey friend done. It was mainly that Id heard it changed their personality. She's very lively and kitten like and I'd read it makes them subdued. I was also worried we'd have to train her to use a litter tray and keep her in for a bit afterwards. There was no change at all, she was back to normal straight away and no collar. Our vet gives long lasting antibiotic injections instead.

cozietoesie Mon 17-Feb-14 07:57:46

PS - wherever you're going to keep her after the op, assume she won't have the sense she was born with and remove anything breakable or precious as if you had an unruly kitten around. It may turn out to be a needless precaution but it's better than having something valuable knocked to smithereens because she's gone daft. They're sometimes ungovernable for an hour or two after the op - once they get home.

EustaciaVye Mon 17-Feb-14 13:58:21

Thanks everyone. That is reassuring.

Our kitty is lovely, cheeky and energetic. She is best mates with 8 yo boy cat which is great although I am a bit worried about playfighting with stitches. Is he likely to avoid her for a bit if she smells funny? They sleep seperately at nighttime as he has a cat flap but during the day they often snuggle on my bed.

cozietoesie Mon 17-Feb-14 14:06:23

He might be 'off' with her for a day or two because she'll smell of vet and op. It shouldn't last though.

Best of luck and let us know how she gets on.

lookdeepintotheparka Mon 17-Feb-14 20:20:03

It wasn't half as traumatic as I anticipated for our kitten. She was a bit jumpy and woozy afterwards but leaping shock around again a few hours later. We didn't even need the collar as after an initial licking session, she left her wound alone!

Good luck - hope it all goes smoothly smile

EustaciaVye Tue 18-Feb-14 16:46:24

She is home and just had a good dinner. She is rubbing up against all of us demanding attention smile

cozietoesie Tue 18-Feb-14 16:53:30

Well that was easier than you feared, eh?

smile

EustaciaVye Tue 18-Feb-14 17:03:41

yes I think so. She has gone to her bed and is licking like mad. Just hoping she doesnt go for the wound. Everywhere but at the moment.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Feb-14 17:15:19

Keep a weather eye on her. I usually find that moving their mouth away from it and saying a firm NO is enough. (With any luck, she'll start to feel sleepy soon - it's been a long day for her and she'll still have some anaesthetic in her system.)

EustaciaVye Wed 19-Feb-14 08:10:44

Thanks for your advice Cozie. She is currently leaping about like the kitten she is. Vet is seeing her again tomorrow to check her stitches but it seems I was worrying over nothing.

They told me 10-14 days until she is allowed outside. She watches big cat disappear sometimes and gets very confused. And she spends a lit of time watching the birds. I am fairly sure she us going to be a good hunter. hmm

mrsnec Wed 19-Feb-14 08:19:25

Glad to hear it went well.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Feb-14 23:09:30

How is she today?

EustaciaVye Thu 20-Feb-14 07:16:50

You wouldn't know she had had anything done! She has check at vets later but I am sure all will be fine.

She us still my lovable, cheeky, clever scamp

cozietoesie Thu 20-Feb-14 07:49:16

There you go. smile

EustaciaVye Sat 01-Mar-14 18:27:44

She had her first venture into the garden today smile
She wants to go out again but as she is still teeny I want to keep her in whilst it is dark, so she is cross with me.

cozietoesie Sat 01-Mar-14 18:34:01

How did she get on out there? smile

She'll be fine once she realizes there's a routine to going out and that staying in overnight doesn't mean she won't ever get out again. Just ignore the sulk.

EustaciaVye Sat 01-Mar-14 19:23:22

She started off quite hesitantly but finished playing ball with dd.
oldercat sleeps all day and goes out at night.
They sleep separately at the moment so littlecat cant get to the catflap but they like being together.
It seens meaner to start keeping oldcat in when he is used to going out so I think when there is lots more daylight we will let her out too.

cozietoesie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:28:07

He would change his routine as well to suit yours if you decided to do it that way - and that may be best given how much more dangerous it is at night for cats. As long as you have a routine of sorts, cats will usually fit in with it without much more than a very temporary sulk.

cozietoesie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:29:21

PS - but get an extra tray in if you decide to keep old boy in overnight. His old bladder may need it. smile

EustaciaVye Sun 02-Mar-14 11:39:24

We have two trays cozie. The kitten uses both and oldcat would rather wait by the front door for an hour if his outside access is restricted. I say old...he is 8, and clearly finds the litter tray very distasteful.

cozietoesie Sun 02-Mar-14 12:38:04

I'd actually get a third then if you have the room. If she's making both the existing ones her peeing territory, he may prefer to be 'private'. (If she starts using all three we'll deal with that when the time comes.)

cozietoesie Sun 02-Mar-14 12:39:47

PS - it may only be temporary and it's always useful to have a spare tray or two in the cupboard - if only for rotation and cleaning purposes. (I actually use them for all sorts of household things because they're sturdy and an excellent shape.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now