Talk

Advanced search

8 week old kitten with fleas

(7 Posts)
Ginplease Sun 16-Feb-14 20:49:46

Hi,

I am after any advice. I have just brought home a new kitten and found he has fleas. I'm brushing him with a flea brush and pulling out fleas and dirt, possibly eggs too.

He is going to the vets this week for his first immunisation and flea and worm treatment but is there anything I can do in the mean time to get rid and stop them making a home on my rug and sofa?

Thanks for any help. He is my first kitten since being a teenager at home so although I'm not feeling completely clueless I'm not sure what to do for the best.

thecatneuterer Sun 16-Feb-14 20:53:40

You have to be very careful with kittens. The only thing we use on kittens is the Frontline spray (not the spot on), which I think you can only get at the vet anyway. You do need to get him treated very quickly though as a heavy flea load on a kitten can cause anaemia and even death. Can you take him to the vet tomorrow?

Where did he come from?

poisonedbypen Sun 16-Feb-14 20:58:22

Our cat had fleas when we got him as a kitten. Take him to the vet tomorrow & they will coat him in flea stuff which will get rid of the lot.

timtam23 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:59:07

I found a 7 week old stray kitten who was absolutely crawling with fleas - I used a flea comb coated in Vaseline to catch quite a few of them and then took him to the vet who sprayed him with Frontline spray (as TCN says, they are too small for the spot on treatments). However he didn't spray the kitten's head so there were a few survivors around head & ears. I kept going with the flea comb and in the end gave him a bath to flush out the final few (he was tiny enough to hold in one hand so it wasn't too bad).
Good luck - I would also try to get him to the vet ASAP

Ginplease Sun 16-Feb-14 20:59:46

Thanks for the reply. The vet wanted him settled for a few days first so he is currently booked in for Wednesday. I can call and see what she recommends tomorrow.

He is an adoption from a tenuous link we both know who knew I wanted a kitten and knew someone who had kittens needing a home.

thecatneuterer Sun 16-Feb-14 21:03:18

I would speak to your 'link' and ask them to mention this to the people the kittens came from. As if they have other kittens they really need to be treated. And do you know if they are having the mother neutered?

Yes I would speak to the vet and in the meantime the flea comb and vaseline is a good idea.

Ginplease Mon 17-Feb-14 13:29:00

Thanks everyone he went to the vets this morning and has spot on treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now