Talk

Advanced search

Cat alarm clock

(9 Posts)
Theincidental Thu 13-Feb-14 21:02:22

My dear deranged moggy has recently decided that he wants to play or eat throughout the night. Last night he woke me by scratching bedroom furniture at 3.30am and 5.30am. It's been going I for weeks now and I'm struggling to function.

I can't shut him in a room as he pulls the carpet up and rips it to shreds, and I don't want to lock him in anywhere.

I've tried leaving some food out too.

Does anyone have any great ideas how to get him to stop short of a stair gate!

cozietoesie Thu 13-Feb-14 21:08:14

How recently and how old is he? Oh - and do you by any chance live in an older house which might have.....mice?

Theincidental Thu 13-Feb-14 21:22:14

About 6 weeks. He was in cattery over Xmas and it started just after he got back.

Age unknown as he is a rescue cat, but probably 12-15 yrs. he's FIV positive, indoor cat.

Theincidental Thu 13-Feb-14 21:23:23

Oh and no mice. House is quite new and there's no where for mice to go hide!

I swear moggy is doing it to get my attention.

cozietoesie Thu 13-Feb-14 21:38:16

Even in a new house, it's a possibility - but you're probably right. How much attention/game playing do you give him during the day/evening ?

Theincidental Thu 13-Feb-14 21:45:40

If I'm honest, probably not enough, but he's a lazy bones and just cuddles up on the sofa.

He doesn't seem unwell, but hard to tell with his FIV.

I wonder if a vet trip may be an idea In Case it's something that hurts him.

cozietoesie Thu 13-Feb-14 22:05:22

I wouldn't immediately be thinking of that in the absence of any other symptoms although it could be worth mentioning at his next appointment if that's to be fairly soon? (I'm assuming that he had a recent-ish check up and that eg his teeth and innards are OK? And that he's neutered!)

He sounds lonely and unsettled to me - perhaps the time in the cattery brought back fears/uncertainties from his previous life? I'd be looking to give him more play, perhaps investing in some foraging toys if he can eat dried and, of course, letting him sleep in/on the bed if he wants to, for its soothing effect.

After all, he may be a house cat now because of his status but he was probably an outside boy at one point and they can sometimes have difficulty adjusting. The cattery (eg hearing and smelling other cats) may have awoken old thoughts which now have to be calmed down.

Theincidental Thu 13-Feb-14 22:25:00

Thank you. I hadn't made those connections, but you are probably right on the nose.

I've had him for ten years now but he's had a bit of change over the last few years (his brother cat died and I had a baby)

He only has a few teeth due to the FIV, so dried is quite hard to eat, but he loves cat nip toys, so I might grab him a few at the weeknd so we can play with them.

He hates his stomach being touched and is long haired so tricky to see if there's any inflammation, but I will try and check. His brother had renal failure so I hope I recognise the warning signs.

Bloomin' cats! With they were more like dogs sometimes, far easier to find out what's wrong.

Thanks again for your insight

cozietoesie Thu 13-Feb-14 22:40:50

Even though he's an older cat (which I'm used to) I'd still recommend seeing if you can introduce a nightly grooming session. No need to go for the belly - just try on the back and flanks. Seniorboy came to me with no history of grooming but now adores it: it's such concentrated attention if nothing else and really soothes him.

Best of luck with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now