Talk

Advanced search

Flea treatments - cheap but works?

(5 Posts)
AToadintheHand Wed 12-Feb-14 23:18:02

We have 4 cats and a dog - been buying flea treatment from the vets which has worked well, but its pricey.

Is there a cheaper alternative that works well?

thecatneuterer Wed 12-Feb-14 23:29:32

Short answer - 'no'.

Longer answer - 'no' and some of the cheap ones can even kill your cat!!

However you may be able to buy the proper stuff from cheaper places than the vets, such as pharmacies and online.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 12-Feb-14 23:44:05

Sadly flea treatments are an area where you buy cheap you buy twice.
As cat neuter has said you can buy from on line pharmacies, but you do need a prescription from your vet from the stuff.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 13-Feb-14 08:15:40

My vet charged me £8 for a private prescription & I was able to buy 6 months of advocate for just over £4 a dose.

I got a bit of cashback off topcashback too.

cozietoesie Thu 13-Feb-14 08:35:54

Hi Toad

As has been said - have a look round the online suppliers and factor in the cost of a vet's prescription. But to buy a decent flea treatment.

Don't attempt to go for a cheap method. If you'd seen the threads on this board detailing the lengths that people have to go to once they get an embedded flea problem, you'd realize that that would be a false economy - and that's assuming that the treatment you acquired wouldn't actually harm your cat: there's at least one brand available in supermarkets that has caused a lot of damage to animals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now