Talk

Advanced search

Fleas

(11 Posts)

Took the cats to the vet today, while he was checking them over he found that one of them had fleas. We've been treating them monthly with Effipro, but their fur is so thick maybe it hasn't been getting onto the skin properly, also have just noticed that it is meant to be every 4 weeks and last month we went 5 weeks.

So, do I need to assume the house is infected? We're carpeted throughout, the cats sleep in the bottom of my wardrobe. The house is cluttered sad. I will do their bedding on a hot wash tomorrow.

Does combing help? The cats don't even like being brushed, let alone combed.

thecatneuterer Tue 11-Feb-14 23:05:15

I've just googled Effipro and it has the same active (or should I say inactive) ingredient as Frontline. The problem is that fleas are becoming resistant to this so it isn't that effective anymore.

I would try Advantage, Advocate or Stronghold. Your house might need spraying. I suppose it depends how bad the infestation is. If you do spray use Acclaim or Indorex.

Combing doesn't really help except to indicate to you if you cat has fleas or not. It doesn't make a great difference to getting rid of them though.

Thanks - do those other three all have the same active ingredient? One of the cats previously had a bad skin reaction to Advantage.

thecatneuterer Tue 11-Feb-14 23:11:36

Stronghold and Advantage have different active ingredients. I'm not sure about Advocate. I'm sure you can google it.

Ok, looks as though Advocate does but Stronghold is different. I think I 'd better talk to the vet.

x-posted.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 11-Feb-14 23:25:58

Activyl would be another different option to try different to advocate and stronghold, plus newer only cam out last year others are at least 10 years old.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 13-Feb-14 13:35:37

Hi - can I butt in and ask a flea question also please?
WE've been using Frontline effectively on our 2 12yo mogs, but this year it doesn't seem to be working as well. Plus one cat seems to have become sensitive to either fleas or their dander, so is constantly itching.

We tried Advantage, but that seemed ineffcetive as well. Last treatment was 6w ago, so it's time to do it again,m plus treat house etc. WOuld Activyl be next recco ? Is this 'safe' to use on slightly older cats, one of whom has a history of kidney/urological issues ?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 13-Feb-14 16:53:57

Hazel I would suggest a household treatment such as Indorexx or acclaim and a prescription spot on such as Advocate (1ingredient the same as advantage, but also has moxidectin), stronghold or Activyl.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 13-Feb-14 16:54:27

All are safe in older cats.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 13-Feb-14 17:21:33

Super, Lone - thanks so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now