Talk

Advanced search

What do you feed your cats?

(35 Posts)
LoonvanBoon Mon 10-Feb-14 19:22:49

We're getting a rescue cat - around a year old - & will be bringing her home next week. We're all very excited!

Was just wondering what type of diets most people feed their cats these days? We've had cats in the past & fed them a mix of wet & dry food, but our neighbours' cats just have IAMS & seem to thrive on it. Their cats always have water available, of course.

Do many of you use those types of "complete" dry foods, or do your cats have a mixture? If the latter, how many wet food meals per day do your adult cats generally have? Oh, & if your cats have a mix, do you still use the more expensive IAMs type diets or is it okay to go for cheaper biscuits (like Go-Cat)? Thanks!

Sparrowghost Mon 10-Feb-14 19:27:39

My cats eat Raw smile but thats because the dogs do :D

PLEASE do not feed Iams or Go Cat. I am a vet nurse and in all the cases we see with bladder stones and blocked bladders they are fed on Iams, Go Cat and other cheap, rubbish foods. Its really not worth skimping on food.

I'd recommend feeding a grain feed food - Applaws dry is cheap on subscribe and save on amazon, or james wellbeloved is good.

Before I went raw my guys had royal canin down (free from work) and then had breakfast and dinner of some tinned food - a pouch of felix each, or 1/4 of a tin. . and then I put them on Applaws wet (and dry) and they had half a tin each per meal.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 10-Feb-14 19:39:33

Aldi tinned here, it's cereal free as is butchers choice.

lookdeepintotheparka Mon 10-Feb-14 20:06:24

Glad you posted as I'm after a bit of similar advice too! My cat will be 1 yr old soon and has been fed on royal canin complete kitten dry food with a pouch of wet food daily. This has been great and her digestion is much improved since she came to us!

I just wonder if a mixture of dry and wet is still the best for cats and what to switch to for adult food? I was also thinking of switching to IAMS as is cheaper than royal Canin but will heed the advice of the poster above!

MrsSnail Mon 10-Feb-14 20:10:35

Aldi pouches and dry food here. Second staying away from go cat, mine always ended up with bladder infections when the cat-sitters gave it them

sublimecorpse Mon 10-Feb-14 20:12:52

Royal Canin exigent for fussy cats

LoonvanBoon Mon 10-Feb-14 22:17:18

That's helpful, thank you. Will definitely not be going for a dry-only diet then, & will steer clear of go-cat! The applaws dry food looks good, & will check which wet foods are cereal-free /mainly meat.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 11-Feb-14 12:05:06

I feed Arden grange grain free in the morning and Waitrose essential pouch in the evening.

LoonvanBoon Tue 11-Feb-14 12:31:19

Ooh, the Arden grange one seems good value compared with the other grain free feeds I've looked at - thanks, lonecat. Have ordered a bag of the applaws from amazon, but might well try this one too.

HelloBoys Tue 11-Feb-14 13:50:19

when the cats were younger it was Iams and Felix wet food (in pouches).

now one's died and one left it's Sheba Pate but only cos half her teeth had to be removed.

issey6cats Tue 11-Feb-14 16:03:03

butchers classic or asda fish in jelly as both high meat fish content no cereal and harringtons biscuits they are the only ones my tuxie boy dosent wolf down and promptly lob back up again two minutes later

Preciousbane Tue 11-Feb-14 16:06:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoonvanBoon Tue 11-Feb-14 17:35:48

My local tesco seems to sell the Butchers Choice (though only the fish variety) so I think we'll try that for wet food first.

akachan Tue 11-Feb-14 17:42:39

Mine gets Purina indoors in the morning and a ouch of Felix at night plus treats here and there. I do worry it's not good quality enough but she seems very healthy on it.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 11-Feb-14 19:04:04

Arden Grange is really good I use both the dog and cat food. The cat version is very new to the market.

Darmont Tue 11-Feb-14 22:51:31

Another Arden Grange fan here! We tried Royal Cannin but wasn't grain free and is expensive plus, hshe refused to touch Wainrights (Pets at Home grain free food).

thecatneuterer Tue 11-Feb-14 22:55:18

I agree with everyone else. Avoid all cheap dry food like the plague.

I personally, and the rescue I'm with, feed Butchers Classic tins and James Wellbeloved dry.

lookdeepintotheparka Wed 12-Feb-14 11:49:33

This is really useful!

Have been looking into Arden Grange and think I might swap to this from Royal Canin after reading this thread. Kitten definitely has a sensitive tummy and I think the grain free would be good (plus local supermarket sells it which is handy!).

My kitten will be 1 yr old in April - when can I swap her onto adult food? I wondered if I could do this a few months earlier to save me changing her food twice iyswim?

umiaisha Wed 12-Feb-14 12:01:00

We feed our 8 month old kitten Hills Science Plan.

Blithereens Wed 12-Feb-14 12:03:17

Hills Science, as advised by the vet. I've fed all my cats that, actually, different varieties depending on if they need extra crunch for plaque etc. I did have one lovely old boy who needed a ridiculously complicated soft diet due to liver and kidney problems, but he lived to 17 so it was well worth it smile

They love Dreamies for an occasional treat as well.

MissHobart Wed 12-Feb-14 20:22:21

Tesco dry and pouches with gravy, they're all healthy and happy! smile

lljkk Wed 12-Feb-14 20:28:13

Butchers from Lidl or Bozita & Applaws from Zooplus.
I really don't know if it's worth the bother, but...
we got a 10yo cat from someone else who had been on some mainstream brand. After 4 months with us his coat improved hugely, I don't know if it's coincidence and I would feed my cats whatever if that was hugely easier & all I felt I could afford, but the coat thing makes me think that maybe quality cat foods might really be worth it.

Wineandchoccy Wed 12-Feb-14 20:30:19

We feed our old boy royal Canin dental and 1 pouch of senior Felix as good as it looks.

He is a very fussy rescue cat because he won't eat anything else smile

Ubik1 Wed 12-Feb-14 20:35:16

Yup we give Butchers and they love it, it's cheap and good quality. Whiskers etc make them fart, honestly they can clear a room on Go-Cat.

I also give them tinned sardines and some poached white fish to add variety.

Also just wanted to say how rewarding it us to have a rescue cat (I have 2) After 6 months they are becoming more and more playful and affectionate. They are still a bit nervous and flighty but I was honoured to have one curl up on the bed beside me the other night. The other one has a habit of tapping me when she is hungry in the morning - the gentlest of taps on the nose!

gobbin Sat 15-Feb-14 22:35:12

Ours are on Applaws dry and Butchers Choice wet.
They were on Royal Canin kitten for the first year but didn't transfer well onto the Royal Canin adult (had the squits, despite gradual phase-in).

Healthy and fit on Applaws/Butchers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now