Advanced search

Found a cat expecting kittens!

(100 Posts)
Paddlinglikehell Thu 12-Sep-13 22:28:07

Just posted this in Chat. OH came In with a young cat he found down our (isolated) track. She has had a lot of water and a tiny amount of food, but is now sleeping, absolutely exhausted, she was a little vocal initially and very friendly. I can see and feel the kittens moving around, so she is on a warm bed, next to the radiator and am going to see how she is in the morning.

Anything else I should be doing? Will phone Cats Protection in case she has been lost tomorrow and take her to the vet, but I fear she may have been dumped. I am also a bit worried, because she doesn't seem to have the energy now (she did before) and can hardly raise her head when I go in. She is very young, probably 7 months looking at her teeth..

Any advice appreciated.

thecatneuterer Fri 13-Sep-13 22:00:41

Yay and good luck.

Paddlinglikehell Fri 13-Sep-13 22:15:29

Thanks, I am not sure I am still up to hand rearing either! OH made me laugh, he has people in his office working 24 hours, said he would take the kittens in there over night and they could feed them!

I will need advice, of that I am sure, I have been out of rescue for nearly 17 years now, having moved into behaviour and lots of thins have moved on.

One question, is it worth testing for FIV or FL or is it a waste of time. We are lucky that we live in an isolated house no other cats, apart from a farm cat that doesn't come around to us, as gets fed in the yard.

I am so hoping she responds this weekend and will hold onto those kittens.

thecatneuterer Fri 13-Sep-13 22:21:14

I would say that it's always useful to know the FIV status, but I wouldn't go out of my way to test for it unless there were other indicators. But as I said above whatever the status it really makes sod all difference. In practice FIV seems to make very little difference to an adult cat and they all seem to go on to lead full and long lives with no ill effects. However kittens can be badly affected by it so it might be useful to know - but it's not really going to make any difference to anything so I personally wouldn't bother. And once a cat is neutered they're not going to be passing it on.

I'm not sure about leukaemia. That's certainly a lot more serious but I don't think it's routinely tested for. Did the vet suggest it? Maybe Lonecat can help with that ...

cozietoesie Fri 13-Sep-13 22:21:18

Oooh - a cat behaviourist! The board could do with one of those.

thecatneuterer Fri 13-Sep-13 22:24:27

And I think the idea of taking them into the 24 hour office is quite a good one really. Do be prepared to lose the kittens though. Hand rearing is always touch and go and even with a team of dedicated people doing it they still often die. At least you're giving them a chance though.

Paddlinglikehell Fri 13-Sep-13 22:31:17

Thanks, you are a useful lot!

Cozie, sorry to disappoint, but I do dogs! I do know of a couple of cat behaviourists, one very good friend in the states has written a couple of books, but otherwise know nothing!

cozietoesie Fri 13-Sep-13 22:34:27

Ah well- it was worth the thought!

Distrustinggirlnow Fri 13-Sep-13 22:38:52

Shameless place marking here smile

OP I am delighted you are going to give her a chance, poor little thing, and if you need a home for a little one in the future.... wink

Good luck and keep us posted thanks

LegoAcupuncture Fri 13-Sep-13 22:45:43

So glad you've decided to give her a chance.

Please let us know what happens.

ZebraOwl Sat 14-Sep-13 01:35:43

You (& your OH) are awesome: I really hope things work out as well as possible for cat & kits smile

claraschu Sat 14-Sep-13 04:24:36

How wonderful. The best of luck to you. Please keep us updated, if you can.

ratbagcatbag Sat 14-Sep-13 04:36:27

Yey. You're wonderful people smile can't wait for updates. smile

GiGiGi Sat 14-Sep-13 04:53:58

Oh, you are lovely Paddling I can't wait to read the updates. Good luck!

Purpleknickers Sat 14-Sep-13 04:59:57

Another one here looking forward to updates , and of course eventually pictures of healthy happy happy hand fed kittens. Well done paddling for rising to the challenge

saffronwblue Sat 14-Sep-13 05:41:33

Place marking here too! What a lucky little cat that she landed on you.

Paddlinglikehell Sat 14-Sep-13 09:16:58


Rang the vets this morning, after leaving a message last night, to confirm we are going to take her on. Told by the vet nurse that the RSPCA HAVE to take her due to law and 7 days.

I have refused to believe it and with dogs, finder can keep it, so requested vet who I spoke to rings me back asap.

Waiting now - have started a thread re. legislation. Anyone know?

Sparklingbrook Sat 14-Sep-13 09:19:40

Really? confused You are saving the RSPCA the time/money.

GobblersKnob Sat 14-Sep-13 11:20:03

Nooooooo, they do not 'have' to take her, you do however have to give her up should her owner be found (unlikely).

Bloody RSPCA, think they are the law.

Paddlinglikehell Sat 14-Sep-13 11:57:41

It's OK!!!!

I updated other thread. She is ours, we are now paying and RSPCA kicked into touch (phew). Please see other thread. Thanks if anyone replied, it gave me the confidence to question the information so thank you dearly.

Cat is still with us, still has diaorrhea badly and although is eating, anything they put in, comes straight out, they are limited with what they can give, because of kittens, who are still active. They can't give steriods because this will bring on delivery. She has had a tiny bit of discharage, but the vet didn't think delivery imminent at the moment, or she would have to intervene with a cs, so lets hope she holds her own for a bit longer and she starts picking up.

If the kittens are born, we would have to care for them, but the likliehood of them surviving, would probably be very slim - I have been there before sad.

So tragic when she is fighting so hard and the kittens are still moving around and very much alive.

Tentatively thinking of names, as vet asked this morning. Willow and Berry (as in black) are our initial thoughts, but don't want to tempt fate!

thecatneuterer Sat 14-Sep-13 12:03:21

Does the vet think she would stand a better chance if she were aborted/delivered now? I know it's something you really don't want to do, but as the kittens have little chance of surviving anyway, if it can help to save her life surely it should be considered?

JakeBullet Sat 14-Sep-13 12:06:50

Excellent paddling, I agree that it's possible the kittens won't survive if she is that young. My cat (a rescue) is tiny due to having kittens at six months....none of which survived apparently. Her growth was stunted as a result though according to the rescue place.

She has been with me just over a year now and is an absolutely lovely little soul. We adore having her here in her "forever" home.

Paddlinglikehell Sat 14-Sep-13 12:08:21

The vet seemed to think she was OK for the moment and didn't plan on any intervention. I didn't actually ask the question today, but yesterday she said that wouldn't be something she would consider just yet.

I think if they felt it in her best interests, they would and the vet I think knows I would accept that.

thecatneuterer Sat 14-Sep-13 12:10:03

Fair enough. The vets know best. Fingers crossed for her.

cozietoesie Sat 14-Sep-13 12:30:53

I'd name her, Paddling. Everyone deserves a name no matter how dire their situation.

Paddlinglikehell Sat 14-Sep-13 20:15:49

Sad, sad news I am afraid. The vet rang this afternoon, to say that she had had a big seizure and although she had come out of it, she had been very weak and quiet this morning and she was concerned that there were other problems.

Also, the kittens had stopped moving and she thought they had died. Bascially, two options, do a c section, remove kittens, although the vet through she probably wouldn't cope with the anaesetic, or put her to sleep.

We agonised about it, but felt that it probably wasn't fair to put her through an operation, which she may not survive anyway and then have a long recovery. So she was PTS.

I am now feeling awful, that we didn't give her the chance with the op, and that yesterday she was wandering around, albeit very weak and sick, but with alive kittens, she goes to the vet, on a drip and antibiotics and doesn't make it sad.

Maybe we should have aborted the kittens earlier, although the vet didn't recommend this. Maybe we could have gone on with the op. and maybe she would have survived.

Poor poor little stray. We only knew her a day, but she was so sweet and gentle and purrey.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: