Talk

Advanced search

Cat rapidly losing weight

(5 Posts)

My big fat cat stayed in a new Cattery 2 weekends ago, for 6 nights.

Since I picked him up he seems to be getting thinner. His appetite is the same as ever (huge) and he is his usual self - not at all lethargic or behaving differently, still follows me round the house shouting grin.

My other cat stayed in the same unit in the Cattery and is absolutely fine. They are both wormed etc. I was hoping it was 'just' a stress thing as he is a bit like that (the vet has previously diagnosed him with separation anxiety). However it's not getting any better and he's gone through losing his fat into looking thin now.

Has anyone else had this with their cat? Should I be prepared for the vet to give me expensive worrying news?

It sounds like I'm being flippant but really I'm worried - he's my little mate and I don't want him to be poorly... I also have guilt that I've left it too long hoping he'll get better on his own blush

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jul-13 20:03:24

You didn't say how old he is - but it could be a coincidence or, perhaps, the separation has 'kick started' a condition. Is he drinking and using his tray as normal?

I'd have him up to the vet on Monday if you can.

He's a rescue cat, when we got him they guessed he was about 18 months so now he must be about 10/11.

He's drinking, using his tray and chasing after the other cat just like always - he's just looking thinner and thinner! I initially convinced myself he must have been really quickly moulting but it's clearly not that.

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jul-13 20:12:38

Ah right - so he's not a young cat. See what the vet says - but she'll likely want some blood etc tests so be prepared for that and a few days delay if they're necessary.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 06-Jul-13 22:13:25

Several quite easily treated conditions could give you these symptoms so agree vets and probably blood tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now