Advanced search

Kidney Failure

(62 Posts)
KinkyDorito Mon 17-Jun-13 08:55:23

Thought I would start a fresh thread to see if anyone has experience of this?

Little cat was okay overnight at the vet - ate, drank, used litter tray. Vet is going to check him over and get back to me in a bit.

Yesterday they were talking like he would have no chance, but I've done some reading and found that cats can live on with kidney failure. This has changed my perspective a bit. I've read that even with appalling blood counts, if he responds to a few days of fluid, he might have a chance.

I am willing to do what it takes as long as he will be okay in himself. I'm certainly not going to try and prolong his life if he is in pain.

This is my earlier thread:

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I also don't want to consent to them PTS if he needs a few days to really see how he will cope. The way they were speaking, it was like today would be decision day.

Any advice/experiences greatly received. thanks

cozietoesie Mon 29-Jul-13 19:13:31

Excellent, Kinky.


KinkyDorito Mon 29-Jul-13 19:11:43

Just a quick update to say he's fine still. Taking tablet, eating renal food, chasing his brother around the house. smile

KinkyDorito Sat 06-Jul-13 18:23:40

He's a pest! He's even been running around with his brother and chasing his red mouse, so he's obviously feeling perky. I know we are on borrowed time, but after the vets I really thought he wouldn't see out the week.

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jul-13 17:52:08

Good news, kinky. If he's happy, that's the main thing, eh?

KinkyDorito Sat 06-Jul-13 14:00:43

Still ticking on nicely on renal food and tablets. No idea what his counts are like as we aren't stressing him with vets.

Poppetspinkpants Fri 28-Jun-13 21:32:51

Sometimes they can suprise you.
Cat2 was diagnosed with CRF in 2009.
She had the fluid treatment too and is still with us four years later.
Thinking of you and puss tonight.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Jun-13 08:35:35

I'm very glad he's well and pesky, Kinky. Here's hoping for a good few happy days - or even weeks - for him.

KinkyDorito Fri 28-Jun-13 06:37:53

P.S. Part of the reason we won't give fluid is that Charlie is skin and bone. It is difficult to do it without hurting him. I think if he was a more robust cat, we might have tried.

KinkyDorito Fri 28-Jun-13 06:35:04

When we decided to give the fluid, we realised he is badly bruised from when he had it at the vets. We've talked and talked and decided better to let him carry on as he is, without jabbing him every day. I think from an earlier post, there are no guarantees the fluid will keep him alive for long. He is very 'well' at the moment - being his usual fuzzy, pesky self. After the vets he was very subdued. We've decided to let him be so at least he has some normal catty days before the time comes to let him go. As soon as he goes quiet - and I have an idea from when was ill last week - we will phone them.

sad but pleased we have made a decision that I think is the best thing for him. I don't think we'll have him very long now.

idlevice Wed 26-Jun-13 23:38:18

You are between a rock & a hard place for sure. When the end of the journey comes you will have had some time to come around to the idea but it will still be awful. It does seem trite to think of the money but in this day and age it is a consideration. It sounds like you have a good vet which at least is a help.

I don't know how sentimental you are but you can have paw prints made. I wish we had done this actually - even though I don't need any reminders. Just a thought. Keep an eye on him & it is good of you to update for others that may be in a similar situation.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 20:55:47

That time, the decision was taken out of my hands, Kinky - but I could have wished that I'd made one sooner.

I rather liked Lonecat's view on the matter in a post today - 'more bad days than good' - but the trouble is that cats will put such a good face on things that you can't always tell if they're feeling lousy even if you know them well. sad

KinkyDorito Wed 26-Jun-13 20:49:43

Hi cosie, at what point did you decide enough was enough? At the moment he is like his normal self. Did you give subcutaneous fluid? I know he's dying, I just don't want to make it any worse for him by adding to pain. I also need to have an idea of the point where we call the vet.

cozietoesie Wed 26-Jun-13 19:41:32

My experience with treated kidney failure was that it was a long debilitating process and not a sudden crash. Sorry, Kinky, but you may have to make a difficult call fairly soon. sad

KinkyDorito Wed 26-Jun-13 19:35:59

Update - mainly for future searchers.

He seems very well in himself but counts are still poor. We've been given sub-cut fluids to try with him. I think we will have a go, but if they seem uncomfortable or like they are hurting him, we will stop.

He will die, it's just a matter of when. Amazingly, he is very normal at the moment. I'm wonder if it will just be a sudden crash when the time comes.

We are also lucky that the vet, if they have some notice, will come out to the house to PTS, so that will be better for him as the trip out is always traumatic.


The bill is also going up. Renal food not cheap, vets visits, tablets, fluids. We're at around £700 now in 10 days.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 21:51:48

Sounds good smile

cozietoesie Fri 21-Jun-13 21:47:32



KinkyDorito Fri 21-Jun-13 21:38:59

Perky today. He looks much more like his normal self and is being a pest smile.

SoupDragon Thu 20-Jun-13 07:12:51

It may be that the vet wants to start with minimal intervention - it may be that that is sufficient but if not, they may add more medication in.

Sounds like he's doing great at home so far though smile SoupKitten was pretty good at taking her tablet crushed into Philadelphia and then licked from a spoon (may be too salty for you to use?)

cozietoesie Thu 20-Jun-13 06:31:04

If it's limited time in which he's enjoying himself, that's something.

KinkyDorito Thu 20-Jun-13 06:13:10

I think we are all aware we are on limited time.

KinkyDorito Thu 20-Jun-13 06:11:44

That's what I was hoping to get hold of, idlevice, but lots of vets won't give it out. Mine seems determined just to see how he gets on without. I've rung a second vet up and will try them Saturday I think to see if I can get my hands on some. After an evening at home, he is much brighter. He's not drinking much, but he is wolfing the special food with water in it. The tablets have also been made more palatable and he just ate it! We were so relieved as were expecting a fight.

Looking at him though, you can see he won't ever be the same. But at the moment he is functioning and doing all his normal cat things so we'll see how we go.

It does not help that his brother has turned on him and keeps hissing at him all the time. Hopefully they will settle down again. I have to go to work today and I'm worried about leaving them.

idlevice Wed 19-Jun-13 22:35:18

Hope he's going ok so far! We had a few weeks when we had our cat home when we were given sterile fluid to inject into her under the skin to keep her fluids up - has this been mentioned as an option if you are concerned about fluid levels?

SoupDragon Wed 19-Jun-13 18:57:05

Good luck smile

cozietoesie Wed 19-Jun-13 17:48:43

Good luck to him.


KinkyDorito Wed 19-Jun-13 17:45:36

People are cruel. At least they got a happy home in the end though.

Charlie home. His brother keeps hissing at him because he smells of vets. He has little shaved patches all over and still looks skinny, but certainly better than he did. He has tablets and special food and we are supposed to go back next Tuesday for a check up.

He is currently off to shout at the sparrows through the window. smile

We are keeping everything crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now