Talk

Advanced search

Some questions about our kitten

(7 Posts)
Itchyandscratchy Sat 08-Jun-13 06:44:00

She's been with us over 2 weeks now and has settles in really well. We think she's about 9/10 weeks (she was from the CPL) and due her 2nd lot of vaccinations.

She's very good at using her litter tray and is becoming a bit more adventurous room-to-room; we kept her to the kitchen at first, then spells in the front room and now we're letting her wander down stairs in the hope she'll get to know the layout and will find her way back to her tray when she needs it.

Firstly, when to let her have run of the upstairs too? Do we 'supervise' it and take her for spells upstairs and introduce her to the rooms or let her find it for herself? She still seems so tiny and I'm worried she'll get stuck somewhere.

And food: she loves her pouches but not so keen on the dry food. She has a combination at the moment and she'll eat the biscuits if there's nothing else but it's always the last thing to disappear from her bowl.

Itchyandscratchy Sat 08-Jun-13 06:44:45

Sorry - meant to say : any advice would be great smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 08-Jun-13 09:06:37

Some biscuits need to be softened with water for kittens, I didn't read the pack for ours and he wouldn't eat them.

You could shut all the upstairs doors then let her wander upstairs in her own time.

deliasmithy Sat 08-Jun-13 09:38:38

Don't rush her with her exploration of the house. Try and block any areas that are genuinely dangerous. Otherwise, its a kittens duty to find nooks and crannies. Mine loved the 3 inch gap under the sofa and would spend ages under there. Get the kitten to recognise the sound of food or treats, for instance the shaking of a dreamies bag, sound of a fork on a food tin or whatever.
This comes in handy as a test to see if your little bundle of fluff Is genuinely stuck somewhere or not. Treats are an amazing motivation for them to re-appear.

Whilst she is settling in I would let her eat what she wants.

Itchyandscratchy Sat 08-Jun-13 12:08:36

Thank you. She hasn't had any treats yet blush - what and when to give?

cozietoesie Sat 08-Jun-13 14:36:06

Well I'm unusual, Itchy. I don't give treats as such. They'll get a piece of roast chicken when I've cooked it - or some steak or something. But not the packets of things.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 08-Jun-13 14:39:54

I rattle those stick chews when he won't come in. Then he can have a chew for coming home.

Dh saves started saving him a bit of fish/meat/ cheese every night and now can't eat without the cat watching him. I've never gone in for that and can eat in peace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now