Talk

Advanced search

I'm pregnant - we've been offered a kitten, wwyd?

(18 Posts)
TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 24-May-13 15:00:01

Short version is we are cat people. Previous cat been missing for more than a month so not looking good sad

Friend has a kitten (rescued) ready to rehome and offered it to us.

We've also got a 4 and 1yo who were very good with previous cat but haven't lived with a kitten before. I'm a SAHP, so we're home a lot.
We were thinking of using a crate and room divider/stairgates to ensure kitty can be kept separate from kids if necessary (ie, when I need the loo/cooking etc!)
If our old cat came back we would keep both.

He's a lovely cat and I would be very happy to give him a home, but I'm not sure if we would be taking on too much right now.

magicstars Fri 24-May-13 15:11:01

I'd find it a bit much with newborn & young cat, as well as 2 other dc's... You sound like an experienced pet owner & parent so maybe you'd cope better than me. You wouldn't want to offer it a home, then find out its too much & have to rehome. Personally I'd wait til all dc's are older & can help look after the cat.

magicstars Fri 24-May-13 15:11:49

...sorry about missing cat btw flowers

chickensaladagain Fri 24-May-13 15:13:11

I'd take the kitten -they don't take that much looking after, I had a kitten when my two were the same age and they soon learned to be gentle

EasterHoliday Fri 24-May-13 15:15:15

I'd wait to get a cat, and get an older one. it's a lot for the kitten to take on as well.

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 24-May-13 15:24:03

Thanks Magic - 2 no's and 1 yes!

It is a lot, I wouldn't want to mess the kitten around (although he's currently living with children and other pets and seems happy, so I think he would be okay with us). I know friend has other people who would be interested as well, so it's not us or nothing...

Argh. He is so cute! And I do really miss having a cat.

Forgetfulmog Fri 24-May-13 15:26:39

When I look back to the first 3 months of hell of dd's life, there is no way I could've coped with a kitten as well, but you must know what you're doing with 2 other DC. Fwiw I wouldn't, but obviously it's up to you smile

derektheladyhamster Fri 24-May-13 15:27:30

Yes. You've said yourself that you are cat people, so as long as you won't want to rehome should there be any issues. I would. How long until your baby is born? Kittens don't stay 'kittens' for very long.

Purplemonster Fri 24-May-13 15:29:49

I would go for it, kittens really don't take that much looking after in my experience and as long as it has a place to escape from the children to sleep without being disturbed I would have thought it would be fine? (though I admit I say this as an experienced cat owner but with very little experience of children)

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 24-May-13 15:33:42

I'm 20wks, and kitten is 8wks-ish.

So kitten would be 6/7mths old when 3rd baby is born! My DD will have just started school around then too, and DS would be nearly 2.

I think that is one of the main concerns, whether kitten would still want a lot of attention from me at that stage, because it definitely would be limited to evenings, and a few times a day.

systemsaddict Fri 24-May-13 15:38:33

I would totally take the kitten, but I am a mad cat lady! As long as the kitten would cope with the 2 year old, I would be more concerned about that than the baby tbh.

sjuperyoni Fri 24-May-13 15:40:30

We've an 8yr old, a 1 year old and are due dd2 in august. Dp brought home 2 8 week old kittens earlier this week, the 1 year old is amazing with them - he's used to me saying ''pet mummy nicely'' when he pulls my hair so is well trained for kittys.

I wasn't happy with dp bringing them but his friends neighbour wanted to sell them at a car boot sale shock dp told him it may be illegal and the guy threw a kitten out the window saying they were worthless then shock angry sad dp immediately took hold of the two closest and said he'd have them -poor wee mites had been getting bullied by the mans 6 year old son trying to stand on them and throwing them about sad

Dps friend has taken in the other 2 they are going to his mil.

I think you should take the kitty, they are so loving and barely need anything smile just cuddles food and clean litter smile

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 24-May-13 15:45:37

Yes. DS is my main concern! He was fine with our other cat - but obviously that was a big confident adult cat - not a little puck-up-able kitten.

That was why we were considering a big crate as designated cat safe place + roomdivider, so if there were moments where I wasn't going to be able to supervise, I could split them up.

but we've not done that with a cat before, does anyone use them?

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 24-May-13 15:49:34

Oh god, sjupe! That's so horrible. This kitten had a similar experience. A woman had a box of kittens and threatened to kill them if my friend didn't take them sadangry

It's good to hear your 1yo is being gentle grin

MagicBaguette Fri 24-May-13 15:51:08

Sounds like a good idea to me smile

Do be aware of the risk of toxoplasmosis though!

sjuperyoni Fri 24-May-13 15:52:55

Some people are so cruel sad

DS is the sweetest boy i'm just glad he's already trained for the wee things grin even though my head still aches from his random hair pulling before he learnt

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 24-May-13 16:11:06

6 yes and 3 no, I think?

Might have to start another thread about the crates.grin

deliasmithy Fri 24-May-13 20:56:28

I would take the kitten, but then I too am a crazy cat lady

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now