Talk

Advanced search

Crate for a cat

(16 Posts)
Lovethesea Mon 20-May-13 21:24:15

So, if Huntercat gets through his op ok he needs a crate for 8 weeks to heal (he is going to go absolutely mental).

Vet said about 2x3 foot, enough room for a litter tray etc.

He's a big cat, 5.5kg.

Any thoughts on ideal size and best/cheapest place to buy them?

LadyDamerel Mon 20-May-13 21:33:23

Do you know someone with a dog who might have one? Our puppy crate is about that size (it's the size for a large breed dog) and we've loaned it to friends whose cats have needed cage rest in the past.

They're not cheap to buy new, ours was about £70, iirc.

Poor puss. Hope he recovers okay.

cozietoesie Mon 20-May-13 21:34:28

Will leave the recommendations to others who have used them but there seem to be lots around - maybe you should go for a dog crate in view of his size?

I assume you'll get this as an add on to the insurance claim so aren't worried about cost by now?

Iseeall Mon 20-May-13 21:37:49

Amazon. Type in cat playpens and loads come up. They are the foldable sort so easy to store when you are finished with it and they come in all sizes.
We have a large one and you can easily fit a litter tray food/water and toys inside and they are very sturdy.

thecatneuterer Mon 20-May-13 21:54:56

I use large dog crates from Pets at Home. They are foldable, but around £70.

Lovethesea Mon 20-May-13 22:03:15

Right, facebook alerted and hoping someone might have something in the garage.

IncogKNEEto Mon 20-May-13 22:12:04

I've got an xxl one (I think it's about 4 ft x 3 ft) that you are welcome to borrow/buy (if you want to keep it), would that be too big? If you think it might be ok PM me. HTH.

Lovethesea Tue 21-May-13 17:34:01

Thanks Incog, I did Pm you but the vet phoned and said he might be home tomorrow so I rushed to B&Q and made one from wire sheets and cable ties.

I'm impressed though I am certain lovely cat will not be. Off to collect old duvets, blankets and cushions for his wire palace.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 22-May-13 09:04:42

Did our vets not have ones they hire out? We have five that we hire out to people who need them in a range of sizes.

cozietoesie Wed 22-May-13 10:12:58

That's useful to know, Lonecat - I wouldn't have thought of hiring from a vet. (My own vet may not hire things but a phone call does no harm.) Is there anything else your practice might hire - such as cages etc?

cozietoesie Wed 22-May-13 10:13:14

Sorry - I meant cat carriers.

Lovethesea Wed 22-May-13 20:22:53

I hate to think of the hourly cost I'd be charged for it!

cozietoesie Wed 22-May-13 20:28:28

Might be OK - especially if it was something you'd only be using once.

IncogKNEEto Thu 23-May-13 09:50:37

That's ok, hope he recovers well and isn't too upset about his new wire palace!

Devilforasideboard Thu 23-May-13 15:51:28

I think all we had to do was leave a cheque at the vets for a £50 deposit. Whatever you do make sure the cage is secure - Devilcat spent a lot of time plotting to escape from his.

tabulahrasa Thu 23-May-13 19:12:06

Well you're sorted... but for anyone else, ebay or amazon do them way cheaper than anywhere else, the 48" one my monster puppy uses was about £35.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now