Talk

Advanced search

Feeling a little uneasy in this space but I need your wisdom!

(12 Posts)
MothershipG Fri 17-May-13 16:58:22

As the owner of 3 (admittedly cat-sized wink) dogs, the litter tray is not my natural habitat but I need cat advice so I appeal to you experts....

...a local cat has taken to using my front garden as it's litter tray. I have a very narrow flower bed, about a foot wide, running parallel to the path and that is where it is pooing and not burying the poo. The first deposit I found while gardening - without gloves - <boak.>

It has since reused the spot several times and today was an especially smelly, soft example (sorry if you've just eaten).

Now, being the owner of dogs I am completely comfortable with picking up poo, I pick up a lot, but obviously I'd prefer not to have to pick up other people's animals, and I'd prefer people not to be wondering what the small is when they walk up to my house! hmm

Anything I can do to deter it? I have no idea which of the local cats is the offender and can't easily see the front path so I can't be spraying it. Is there anything I can put down or grow to discourage this?

MothershipG Fri 17-May-13 16:59:20

Small??? I think you can guess I mean smell!

Iseeall Fri 17-May-13 17:10:55

Try putting moth balls down. A neighbour used to do this and said it worked.
There is a plant called scaredy cat(sp) that is supposed to repel cats although I have no experience of this, but if you like gardening you might find it and have some success. Good luck

StuffezLaYoni Fri 17-May-13 17:26:49

Anything menthol definitely repels cats, though I have no idea whether there are any plants with a menthol smell!

Floralnomad Fri 17-May-13 17:29:24

We've had limited success with a green jelly like cat repellent that you get in Pets at home . I've also read somewhere that fresh coffee grounds work ,but I've not tried it .

MothershipG Fri 17-May-13 18:08:27

Right, well I'm heading right out there with coffee grounds, I have plenty of that!

I'll check out the PaH stuff next time I'm there buying dog food, and I'm off to google scaredy cat and buy some moth balls, I needed some anyway...

Thanks, you've given me a great start!

DoingStuffForHarriet Fri 17-May-13 18:48:30

Another vote for mothballs. They are cheap and really do work. I've also heard that orange peel is a good deterrent, but haven't ever tried it. Our old girl asks to come in to use her litter tray and then goes straight back out again.

QueenStromba Fri 17-May-13 19:43:12

I've heard of lion poo and orange peels as cat deterrents. I believe you can buy lion poo for such usage but buying oranges is probably easier.

MumnGran Fri 17-May-13 19:50:25

Moth balls certainly work smile
The most inexpensive (and effective!) solution is to have partner/brother/father/any male you can persuade pee over the area.
Seriously ...scent marking is a strong deterrent. However, given that is is a front garden, you may want to ask for the fix to be handled very late at night and veeeery discreetly grin

MothershipG Fri 17-May-13 19:53:24

Eeeeeew! I can't ask DH to pee in the front garden....wonder if I can persuade DS??? grin

quoteunquote Fri 17-May-13 20:04:13

If you know where there are some holly trees, if you pick up a bag of holly leaves, use two bits of cardboard and gloves, then use the holly leaves as a mulch,

the cats will avoid the area, but you will need gloves for weeding, just keep adding a bagful when needed.

teenagetantrums Sat 18-May-13 14:06:20

keep your old teas bags and put some olbas oil on them cats do not like olbas oil, appently this works according to my Dad, I don't have a garden so cant confirm it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now