Talk

Advanced search

Renting with cats

(8 Posts)
Preposteroushypothesis Wed 15-May-13 20:47:04

Hi there, I'm sure this topic has been done to death but I'm a relatively new cat owner so haven't been on here much!

Late last year we rescued 4 cats from a neighbours garden, we are in rented accommodation but haven't told our landlord. We are moving soon and are planning on moving into an unfurnished house, partly because we think potential landlords would be more willing to accept cats if its not there furniture that is at risk of being used as a scratching pole an partly because this will be the last rental property we have before buying our own home so want to start building up on our own furniture...

Anyway, so my question is, in your experiences, is it quite difficult to find a landlord to rent to you when you have a cat (we are not planning on admitting to 4 cats but might say we have 2)? And do you think the unfurnished option is a good idea so we can point out they won't have any damaged furniture to worry about. My DP is really paranoid that we won't be able to find anywhere to live now we have pets!!

marzipanned Wed 15-May-13 22:46:18

We've lived in rented property with cats twice. The first time the landlady really didn't want our cats - in fact she had a terrible cat phobia (and one of ours is enormous and angry, so I did feel dreadfully sorry for her every time she encountered him) - but she was okay with it.

The second time it wasn't a problem at all. I just told the estate agent we had cats and of about 6 properties I wanted to look at, only 1 wouldn't accept pets.

Both places have been furnished, and in both instances we've had something in the contract offering to make good any damage done by the cats, even if that exceeds the deposit paid.

All that said I don't think you should lie about the number. If they find out they can kick you out for breach of contract. Just explain that you will keep the property clean, pay for damage and have it professionally deep cleaned at the end of the tenancy and I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Good luck, and well done you for rescuing four!!

thecatneuterer Thu 16-May-13 02:24:52

Yes well done for rescuing four. I am a landlord and I deliberately seek out tenants with pets. I do think I'm in the minority though. In fact most of mine are houseshares for four people - and in one of my houses for example there are two people with cats, one with a dog and one with a ratsmile

And yes, you would probably find unfurnished easier. But I'm sure most landlords could be talked round if you present yourself as wonderful tenants in every other waysmile

siezethenight Thu 16-May-13 07:47:42

I rent with 4 cats. My landlord lives across the road from us.
He likes cats as he says they keep the mice down! They go over there every day at 4pm for scraps from his tea - you'd swear he was ringing a bell for them. They trot off each day and get the leftover food, he really seems to love them all - can't say this thrills me, certainly not in winter when the litter tray is in use... But, its never been a problem for him - he won't rent to people with dogs through... Never have asked him why that is.

GalaxyDefender Thu 16-May-13 07:58:38

I'm moving into a private rented place and the landlord was lovely about us having a cat - he even said we can put a catflap in the door!

Be upfront about it, never ever lie. I asked for details of about five different places last week and none banned pets. IME, the only people who ban pets are really strict and want "perfect" tenants (i.e. non-smokers, no pets, no HB, no children) and those types of places tend to stay on the market for a loooooong time.

Good on you for rescuing those kitties! There aren't many people who would willingly do so!

cozietoesie Thu 16-May-13 08:03:18

I've had to rent out property in the past (I was in an equity trap) and any tenant who was upfront about pets and offered to make good any damage would have been absolutely fine by me. In fact I would have felt much more confidence in them if they had told me about it - tenants can do a lot worse to your house and financial situation than just leave some scratches on the carpet.

MimsyBorogroves Thu 16-May-13 08:04:39

I've always managed, by offering to pay a higher deposit and having it written into the contract that I will pay for carpets to be professionally cleaned when I wish to leave the property.

Preposteroushypothesis Thu 16-May-13 12:02:29

Yes you're right, better to be honest rather than stress about them finding out! I've heard about landlords who won't allow children, well I'm expecting my second now so that's no good, hopefully the dream house will also come with a dream landlord who will be happy with some an extra clause in the contract!

There were 7 cats - 5 kittens and 2 very young, inexperienced mothers working together - but we found homes for 3 of the kittens. They are lovely so we would never get rid of them now!!

Thank you for your advice everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now