Talk

Advanced search

cats claws

(14 Posts)
teenagetantrums Mon 13-May-13 13:55:02

Hi I have two indoor cats, am just looking at them lying next to me on the sofa and their back claws seem very long, im sure I should know the answer to this but am I supposed to trim them? we have always had outdoor cats until these two they do have scratching post ect.

cozietoesie Mon 13-May-13 14:09:52

How old are your cats and what are their teeth like ? I've found that they usually (as long as they have some teeth) do their own back claws by sooking and chewing them. I don't 'think' they grow as quickly either.

I help my Seniorboy by nipping the tips of his front claws occasionally (he has a chair to scratch for most of his grooming) but now that he only has a bare handful of teeth, I keep a weather eye on his back ones also. They can sometimes get ungainly.

teenagetantrums Mon 13-May-13 14:55:01

they are three, their teeth are fine and or course they don't go near the scratching post and attack my sofa. they just seemed a bit long as they were lying there this morning. Ok am much happier if I don't have to do it I can imagine the drama that would cause, it takes two of us to put flea treatment on them.
thanks x

cozietoesie Mon 13-May-13 15:03:10

Keep an eye on them in general (as with the front claws) because they can sometimes get little problems with their claw sheaths and retracting etc - but at 3 years old, they should be fine.

smile

PS - even at that age, if they're lying on your laps of an evening having a lovefest and all relaxed, it can be a good idea to gently hold/splay their paws/toes for a few seconds - or give them a one second groom down their backs occasionally. Gets them used to the feel of it so that if you have to do anything for real in later life, they're already mentally prepared.

Iseeall Mon 13-May-13 18:21:45

Your vets will do it for a few pound. It only takes a few minutes to do all four paws, they make it look really easy. (I sometimes tussle with my
big fluffy boy, but its nice to gets all the paws done properly sometimes)

gindrinker Mon 13-May-13 19:55:05

We trim our indoor cats claws.
Its a team effort, I do the actual cutting, Mr Gin holds the cat.
The key is to be determined (more than the cat) and lots of treats after.

teenagetantrums Mon 13-May-13 19:56:32

oh god im not taking them to the vets unless I have to , the trauma of the cat box the car its all to much for them and me. will start playing with their feet when they are sleeping see how that goes just in case I need to do anything later in life x

RussianBlu Tue 14-May-13 23:07:11

I trim my cats claws every week or two (as I remember). I use small clippers, kind of look like scissors with rounded blades, they aren't expensive. I do it when she is relaxed mostly, say after she has just woken up. never had any problems, if she starts to wriggle I just let her go and continue later. Always just take the tip off, don't go near the coloured part or it will hurt and bleed.

VenusUprising Fri 17-May-13 13:39:26

I take the tips off with a nail clipper when my little indoor cat is a bit sleepy or asleep.
I can take my time, and never go near the quick (the pink bit). If she pulls the back paws away, I let them go!

I have massaged my cats paws since she was a kitten, so she knows that it's normal that I'm holding her paw for some reason or other.

Now, actually she'll come over for a cuddle and put her paw out onto me to hold. It's very sweet.

QueenStromba Fri 17-May-13 16:52:14

I've been cutting my girl's claws for the first time whenever I've got the chance over the last couple of days. I think I've got about 7 done. I'm tempted to whack the heating up so she sleeps spread out to make access easier.

Floralnomad Fri 17-May-13 17:33:56

My mum has an indoor Ragdoll and we have never had to clip his claws and they're fine ,but they have wooden floors and I think he probably chews them , he spends a lot of time sucking his tufty toes .

Poppetspinkpants Sun 19-May-13 22:09:59

Our vet nurse does it for £3.
Really wouldn't try it myself.

cozietoesie Sun 19-May-13 22:35:24

That's a good price - although you have to factor in getting to the vet, time spent, cat stress (if applicable) etc. I think that if you're going to do it yourself, you have to introduce it gently and start when the cat is at its most relaxed - on your lap, say. And only do tips.

It does work, though. Seniorboy had, I think, not been near the vet since neutering when I got him but was trained to claw clipping within a couple of months. It's not his favourite thing but he will tolerate it.

Also - I nearly forgot. It's very important to get a proper claw clipper which will remove the tips quickly and cleanly. Don't try to use scissors.

sashh Mon 20-May-13 11:54:25

I used to have to clip one of the foster cats' claws, the clippers are not expensive and the vet nurse showed me how to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now