Talk

Advanced search

First time pet owner

(13 Posts)
paneer Sun 12-May-13 20:22:11

I am rehoming a rescue cat later this month and very excited. (She is about 2/3yo).

I bought a bowl and a collar today. Am trying to see if I can get some bits of freecycle before I go out and buy stuff.

Got a quote for a cat flap (wall) for £280 + supply own cat flap. Sound about right??

Need to find a local vet to register with.

I guess I need to fund out whether my house alarm has a built in pet sensor too.

Anything else?

Both DD and I are very excited grin

cozietoesie Sun 12-May-13 20:59:51

Well done paneer! I can't comment on the cost of going through the wall even though it sounds quite steep (did you just get the one quote?) but you might like to read this ongoing thread about getting a cat for the first time.

thread

Someone else can probably comment on the cat flap costs. Where you are might determine the amount as much as anything.

thecatneuterer Sun 12-May-13 21:44:18

How exciting for you.

That does sound like a lot of money to make a hole in a wall. I would have thought about £80 would be nearer the mark. I should get a couple more quotes if I were you.

cozietoesie Sun 12-May-13 22:00:32

Yes-definitely get a couple more quotes. It sounds like one of those 'I don't really want to do the job but.....' amounts.

(If you're going to save any money, use some of it to buy a microchip cat flap. More expensive but it will be an excellent investment for you.)

paneer Mon 13-May-13 20:18:04

Off to look at the other thread. I am so excited, and anxious that something might go wrong when the home visit happens. (No idea why).

Ordered a microchip cat flap today.

The first person (£280) only fits cat flaps. The second person is a builder who knows about fitting cat flaps (£200, but might be £150 is the wall isn't as thick). I am beginning to think it's London...

thecatneuterer Mon 13-May-13 20:44:09

That still sounds like a silly amount of money to basically make a small hole. Are you anywhere near East London? I know a good builder.

paneer Mon 13-May-13 21:07:53

I am in NW London. Do you think your builder will come out? How much do you think it will cost?

They say it's not just making the hole, it's making good too. And lining it so the cat does fall into the cavity.

There was another builder who was going to come out and quote me but decided the job was way to small for him confused

thecatneuterer Mon 13-May-13 21:16:42

No I don't think he'd go that far. As for what he'd charge, any job that doesn't take him more than a couple of hours he charges £55 to £70 for usually. Ah, that does sound more complicated. I wasn't thinking of cavity walls, but you can buy tunnels for cat flaps that are meant for that sort of thing and cost about £7, so no making good necessary and the cat can't fall through.

paneer Mon 13-May-13 21:39:05

I am getting the tunnel extenders as well.
It's trying to find someone who want to do it!

From what I understand the cat will need to be kept indoors for at least 3 weeks to start with, so no urgency. However, I don't want to frighten her when the hole gets knocked through either.

Arg, wish I had a normal back door!

thecatneuterer Mon 13-May-13 21:43:02

Yes your cat will need to be kept in for three weeks. What sort of back door do you have?

paneer Mon 13-May-13 21:44:37

Massive glass sliding doors, would cost me a fortune in glass.

thecatneuterer Mon 13-May-13 21:46:27

Ah yes. That's what I've got and I got a cat flap put in them, but yes, that would cost even more.

paneer Tue 14-May-13 20:06:48

The cat flap should be arriving tomorrow and I have just called in the builder for next week. Cannot get anyone else to do it, but just need it done now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now