Talk

Advanced search

Does your cat tell you when it's time for bed?

(28 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 09-May-13 23:10:34

Or is it just mine? He's so frigging bossy! He's a Siamese and at about this time at night, if I don't make a move towards the stairs he starts yawning ostentatiously...and staring. Then if I don't move, he runs up and down the stairs crying.

hmm

Ah...he's JUST headed towards the stairs now...

crazynanna Thu 09-May-13 23:13:18

Yes...my girl comes and sits next to me on my pile of Uni folders. Same time every night. (11.45)..and just sits sulking until I get up and turn everything off.

cozietoesie Thu 09-May-13 23:14:04

All my Siamese boys have. They can get quite stroppy if their bed time is exceeded - then, finally, they take themselves off in high dudgeon. The good thing about them is that when you eventually go to bed, they forgive you in a shot. The cuddle is all.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 09-May-13 23:17:08

Yes...he's just gone off on his own...well to sit on DH's chest till' I get up there! He yowled a bit for me but I'm just too tired.

In a minute, I will go and he'll wait until I'm all wrapped in the duvet and sharply tap me with one extended claw on the shoulder or inner arm until I lift up the duvet and invite him in.

He does it every night and I always think "Get in when I DO ffs!"

ZebraOwl Thu 09-May-13 23:22:17

Mine don't want me to go to bed at night because it means they're shut out of the room grin

They do, however, have firm views on what time I should be home by & will stare out of the windowsill to watch for me should I be mere moments later than the curfew they've set.

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 11-May-13 23:25:07

Mine have firmer views about when I should get up. (Sad)

gobbin Sun 12-May-13 14:01:10

I have three and little Wicky will just take herself off to her basket around 10pm. The others will be in front of the fire or lying next to us, but Wicky loves her bed!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 12-May-13 14:18:23

Ours very pointedly goes to bed. If dh is playing music too loudly he stands with one paw on his arm miaowing until he turns it off.

At the weekends if it gets too busy for him he yells at us and stomps off to bed.

PipkinsPal Sun 12-May-13 17:10:04

My late puss used to sleep in the same place on the settee at the same time each night. One night I had friends over. At 10pm puss came downstairs and sat looking at my friend. She wanted to know what the cat was looking at. I said he wanted to go to sleep and she was sitting in his spot. The two I have now always come in at 9pm and when I turn off the tv they shoot out into the kitchen for a snack and then go to bed. If my boyfriend comes over on the weekend he stays up watching tv later than I do in the week and the next morning the cats don't move from the settee because they haven't had enough sleep and are having a lie-in!

Sparklingbrook Sun 12-May-13 17:13:09

Sparkling Cat puts herself to bed if we don't go up at the required time. She has a bed on a chair in our room, when we go up she jumps on our bed. smile

MadCap Sun 12-May-13 17:17:49

Ours sits in the middle of the room meowing at us. If we fail to comply, she picks loudly at out stair carpets. When we do go to bed,she sits on one of our chests until we let her under the duvet.

QueenStromba Sun 12-May-13 17:43:35

Rice just hangs out in whatever room we're in - she definitely likes to be around her people. If we go out for a few hours it's a toss up as to whether we'll find her on the bed or on the sofa.

She can be quite insistent on it being time to wake up and pay her some attention though. DP normally wakes up before me and reads for a bit before he gets up so stops her from pestering me for a while. Eventually she'll decide that only some love from me will do though which means I'll get batted in the face and if that doesn't work I get a single claw on the shoulder or my hair scratched at. Once I'm properly awake I'll get kitty snot all over my face. Remind me again why I love her so much?

Sparklingbrook Sun 12-May-13 17:47:48

grin Queen.

Sparkling cat like to have a bit of a fuss in the night. She generally jumps on DH's gentlemens area and he wakes up and gives her a fuss til she dribbles everywhere. Then she comes over to me and lies on me for a bit, has a cuddle then goes back to slepp at the end of the bed.

Corygal Tue 14-May-13 21:27:03

Mr Cory retires at 10pm sharp. Woe betide me if I am not in position warming the duvet at 10:03 pm, dreamies at the ready.

The animal is a hopeless lightweight. WORST is when people are round - every guest, nicely relaxed with a glass of wine after a leisurely supper, gets the evils from 9:30pm onward. They always leave, laughing uneasily at the little fellow's ways, as I am mortified & begging them to 'at least finish their pudding'.

Sunnywithshowers Tue 14-May-13 21:32:16

Yes, especially over the last couple of years. He's now very elderly (19) and set in his ways. He wants to go up with us, drink water from my bedside table, cuddle on the bed then sleep on his beanbag near our bed.

We comply, mostly. smile If we don't he paces up and down the sitting room.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 14-May-13 22:31:51

Mine retire at about 6.30pm after their tea. They are well settled by the time I get to bed.

VenusUprising Fri 17-May-13 13:43:31

Yes, my Tonkinese (half Siamese half Bumese breed) will yell.
She'll come over, poke me, and stare and go to the door, and yell.

Occasionally she'll take herself off and put herself to bed <guilt>

Mind you she yells and stares to let me know she's off to do a poo as well.

StuffezLaYoni Fri 17-May-13 13:47:44

When I stir in the morning, both of mine get wildly excited, leap on my chest and do the kneading thing, and nip my fingers!

VenusUprising Fri 17-May-13 13:57:15

You're definitely mummy cat to them Stuffez!

StuffezLaYoni Fri 17-May-13 14:00:41

You've inspired me to upload another pic of my latest :-)

mrs2cats Fri 17-May-13 14:10:00

My cat isn't allowed in the bedrooms so doesn't come to bed with me. However, she always sits on my lap in the evenings and around 10.15 (my bedtime) she will suddenly jump off and sit in the middle of the room waiting for me to get up. If I don't, she starts staring at me in the way cats do.

Growing up I had a dog who always used to tug at me when it was bedtime and made sure I went up the stairs to bed.

BadgersRetreat Fri 17-May-13 17:35:26

ours takes herself to bed about 9pm every night after her tea...it's the getting up in the morning part she has ishoos with at the weekend.

She has a shout at 6am for breakfast - fine - she's used to getting it then during the week so one of us stumbles downstairs and feeds her.

but if we're not up and about 2 hours later we get a bit of a shout from the floor, then a bit of a shout from the middle of the bed....then the drive-bys start.

She takes a run up (!) and Zooooms across the bed at full pelt with as many heavy footfalls as possible....no way can we sleep through that!

QueenStromba Fri 17-May-13 17:50:59

I thought that Rice didn't care what time bedtime was but last night we went to bed about 30 minutes later than usual and she sitting on the bed giving us a "what time to you call this?" sort of look.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 17-May-13 20:50:05

I think mines practising sleep deprivation torture, wouldn't settle last night so I bought him upstairs.

He ran around until nearly 12 then woke me at 3.30.

He's sleeping downstairs tonight and I don't give a rats furry one if he doesn't like the sound of rain on the conservatory roof or not.

RandomMess Fri 17-May-13 20:56:28

Ours ask to be put to bed (they get shut in the lounge) from 9pm and get naughtier and more annoying and more insistant the later it gets!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now