Talk

Advanced search

who the fuck would shoot a cat?

(16 Posts)
MynameisKeith Wed 08-May-13 15:03:34

And a 3 legged one at that?

We got back from 5 days away on Monday, to find our cat had a big lump on his back. Assumed it was an abcess and planned a trip to the vet on Tuesday.

Woke in the night to find puss yowling, biting his back and lapping up a foul smelling mixture of blood and pus. (He was on the bed in the spare room which looked like a scene from a horror film - bye bye white duvet set!)

Took him to the vets first thing, still assuming abcess, as did the vet, except as they went to flush it they found a splintered air gun pellet! sad

Usually our cat only ventures as far as our back garden as he can't make it over the fence, but neighbour that has been feeding him confessed that he shot out of the front door into the park opposite for approximately 3 hours on Friday, so maybe he got into someone's garden? Either that or someone overlooking the park is taking pot shots at pets. sad

Why though? Even if he was in someones garden he is not a serial offender and is quite obviously not particularly agile the sick fuckers! I am so bloody angry

Vet said similar happened a few weeks ago, same park, also during the day but police don't seem very interested. Grrrr!

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 08-May-13 15:16:09

Plenty of sick bastards unfortunately. sad

The Jezza Kyle types that think an air gun is cool. The sort that knock sparrows out of trees and put holes in wheely bins. Stupid morons usually.

Unfortunately there's also a few old boys round here who shoot cats they see on their land. They don't see anything wrong with it. Say they're a nuisance and are affecting the wildlife. Genuinely can't see anything wrong with it.

When I catch one of them doing it I will fucking report him.

FreckledLeopard Wed 08-May-13 15:20:25

sad That's appalling. Your poor cat. Is he on the road to recovery.

I'd happily fire air gun pellets into the twats that do this. Or wring their necks. Sick fuckers. angry

LooseyMy Wed 08-May-13 15:20:39

Poor kitty :-(

MynameisKeith Wed 08-May-13 15:22:30

If I catch the person doing it I'd have difficulty restraining myself! Evil fucker. I live in a small village too so almost certainly know the utter bastard that did it. sad

MynameisKeith Wed 08-May-13 15:27:41

He is feeling very sorry for himself, is a bit out of sorts from anaesthetic and has stitches and two big holes in his back for the wound to drain but he will mend.

Neighbour is beside herself for not noticing, but he walks with an unusual gait because of his accident (hit and run last summer) so it was easy to miss.

I am so fucking angry I could scream! sad

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-May-13 16:44:56

They ought to licence those things same as they do shotguns, we had them before dh had shotguns.

They are fiddly to load too but just right for kids to load IMO.

Poor cat, people never fail to disappoint me.

NinaHeart Wed 08-May-13 16:48:33

Horrible people. I don't have words for anyone who can do this. I have no idea why air guns are even allowed. As far as I can see they serve no purpose at all.

I hope your kitty is ok

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-May-13 17:46:21

You can use them for pest control, pigeons and rats usually.

But, I don't see why the public needs a gun like that for no reason, You can alter them too so they are more powerful. It's illegal but it can be done.

We have quite tight gun laws here but really lax on air rifles.

MynameisKeith Wed 08-May-13 17:52:22

Vet said an inch in the other direction and it would have paralysed him. There is another thread in AIBU about a shot cat with facial paralysis. sad

There are some seriously fucked up people in this world. angry

hootiemcboob Wed 08-May-13 17:58:15

Poor kitty! The same thing happened to my lovely girl about 6 weeks ago.

MynameisKeith Wed 08-May-13 18:02:58

Oh no, did she survive?

wigglybeezer Wed 08-May-13 18:06:03

Someone in our town has poisoned 4 cats with antifreeze, so I am not very surprised unfortunately : (

hootiemcboob Wed 08-May-13 18:10:01

Oh sorry, yes, she survived, and finally this week it looks like she has movement back in her tail. I don't suppose I'll ever find out who did it though.

MynameisKeith Wed 08-May-13 18:21:01

Yay! Glad she is on mend. smile

Regarding the antifreeze though, our sleepy little village made the national papers the winter before last after 12 cats in a fortnight died from anti-freeze poisoning. Hadn't thought about it til now, maybe its the same person? sad

cozietoesie Wed 08-May-13 18:22:08

You all might be interested to note that in Scotland, there are proposals to control air rifles. I would guess that if they come into force there, there is highly likely to be similar legislation in the rest of the UK - depending on the results.

proposed control of air rifles in Scotland

So sorry about your cat, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now