Talk

Advanced search

My cat is 'fighting' with a bee (or wasp, I'm not sure), will it hurt him?

(40 Posts)
SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:04:15

I would seperate them but I am terrified of bees and wasps. blush

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 20:08:28

I've never found any of my cats in difficulty (dogs are a different matter) but I usually try to separate them and/or bat out the stinger if it's a bee because bee stings can lodge in flesh. Wasps are not such a problem. Can you put him somewhere different?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 07-May-13 20:09:35

Pick up the cat, we really need the bees.

A wasp sting is horrible for a cat, really swells up.

Branleuse Tue 07-May-13 20:10:38

yes it will hurt him

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:12:10

I can't pick the cat up as he's right beside the thing (whatever is buzzing around) it's massive and black but looks fuzzy?

Honestly, I don't like creepy crawlies but I would manage to seperate them with bees and wasps though I just freeze.

He's sitting a bit back from it now, watching it. The window above it is open so it can make an exit if it wants to...

Shit shit shit.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:13:54

Cat has walked away but I no longer hear buzzing, this one only seems to buzz on and off though.

thecatneuterer Tue 07-May-13 20:13:57

If he swallows it it can kill him. If the bee/wasp stings his throat it can swell up and cut of his airway. We do see cases of this.

Branleuse Tue 07-May-13 20:14:22

cant you call the cat away with food or something?

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:15:24

The cat has left the room but now I'm worried he's eaten it cat. I don't hear buzzing anymore but it could be hiding I suppose or flown out the window...

thecatneuterer Tue 07-May-13 20:17:51

Well if he has eaten it it isn't necessarily a problem - only if it has stung his throat, and I think you could probably tell from his behaviour if that had happened. Anyway keep an eye on him. Unfortunately though when it does happen the effect seem to be so quick that unless it happens outside a vets there is probably little that can be done. I'm sure he'll be fine though.

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 20:18:15

It's probably flown out.

smile

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:20:39

I think it got away, phew!

Thank you and I apologise for being such a wimp. sad

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 20:21:11

If it was big, black and fuzzy, it was a bee by the way - they usually go out pretty quickly because they're not really interested in inside. (Unlike wasps who might be attracted by food you had around.)

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 20:21:46

Not wimpy at all! Some people don't like certain things and that's that.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:22:10

I thought bees were stripey?

SHITE I can hear it again!

<hides behind pillow>

Polyethyl Tue 07-May-13 20:24:06

My cat bit a bee. It stung the inside of her mouth. Her head swelled up grotesquely and frighteningly fast. This impaired her airway and so she was having difficulty breathing. We ran to the vet (luckily nearby) charged straight into the consulting room (whilst some other customer was there). She received an injection (I didn't ask what, but I assume of the same stuff they give people with severe allergies). The cat's recovery was as fast and dramatic as her decline had been.

Don't let your cat hunt bees.

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 20:26:36

Not the big ones. At any rate, not obviously. It must have been taking a wee rest.

Make sure that the cat is outside the room, open windows wide and if you see it, see if it wanders out. Bees usually stumble around inside - they're not fast and nippy like wasps - so you could see if you could pluck up courage to gently guide it with a rolled up newspaper. I think that the glass and paper might be too much for you if you have a thing about them.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:28:16

Poly That must have been terrifying, I am glad your cat was luckily okay.

The cats have been locked in another room now so it's just me I am fearing for now!

I am not hiding behind a pillow, oh no

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:29:57

Shudder at the thought of leading it out with a newspaper...

Windows are open wide, the bee wont get hurt (as much as I am scared of them I would never hurt one).

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 20:30:05

And for future reference, make sure you don't have anything like pale flowers near the window (inside.) That's what often attracts them into a house, apart from just bumbling in.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 07-May-13 20:31:04

We don't have any flowers in the house or the garden. That's really useful to know though!

How do you know so much about bees? <nosey>

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 20:34:21

Well it rather depends how clean your windows are and whether they're single or double glazed. (Can alter what can be seen.) Bumbles are just wandering around looking for flowers so if they see some corkers (as they think) then they go after them.

QueenStromba Wed 08-May-13 21:34:27

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I'm petrified of wasps and scared of bees (I can put bumble bees out if they don't seem too pissed off) - I'm massively allergic to mosquitos and have had swellings the size of a small orange with a red patch the size of a side plate from random insect bites so I'm convinced that a bee or wasp sting would kill me. A bee got in the other week and I had to get DP to deal with it. Rice was apparently quite interested in it (I had to leave the room) so probably would have gone for it if I was there on my own and left her in the room. Now I know that if I have to evacuate a room because of a bee or wasp then I should take her with me.

cozietoesie Wed 08-May-13 21:40:53

If it's a bee, QS, you really don't have much to worry about - they're so dopey that they're easily caught using a glass and piece of paper or gently batted towards an open window.

Wasps are a bit meaner spirited so probably better to open a window and leave the room with Rice - if you can't face swatting them.

cozietoesie Wed 08-May-13 21:45:15

Oneago once swallowed a bluebottle fly. (He used to get endless hours of fun out of them and Daddy Long Legs.) Unfortunately, he swallowed it whole by mistake and it set up, alive, buzzing in his throat. His look of embarrassed consternation as he sat there pretending he wasn't buzzing remains with me to this day.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now