Talk

Advanced search

How often to worm a hunting cat?

(7 Posts)
Lovethesea Tue 07-May-13 15:19:16

I was told every 3 months by CP when we rehomed our large tabby. Pets at Home told me every month if he's an outdoor cat that hunts and eats his kills regularly.

Anyone else heard this? He definitely eats birds, shrews, mice, moles, rabbits, pigeons etc on a regular basis. I don't want to leave him open to worms but I don't want to overdose him either!

(New rescue cat meanwhile has brought me nothing, nothing I tell you. Just hunts toys, leaves and small sticks but doesn't share them. A blessed relief)

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 07-May-13 16:06:51

I think advocates monthly, it does worms and fleas.

I always thought worming was a monthly thing too.

Lovethesea Tue 07-May-13 16:39:33

Can't recall what one CP used but it definitely said every 3 months for worming, monthly fleas. Not advocate I think, maybe drontal? I don't mind what I use just not sure whether to attack him with my new friend the Pill Gun every month or stick to 4 times a year ....?

Wotme Tue 07-May-13 16:45:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lovethesea Tue 07-May-13 16:50:06

Great, thanks, he will be pleased! Better stock up on more dreamies to sweeten the pill gun assault.

And more drontal.

Sigh. I have mentioned the constant supply of cat food, the lack of need to hunt, kill, eat and leave half a creature in the garden for me, but no, I just get THAT look. The pitying look they give you when their staff just don't understand. Really hoping second cat doesn't start too as I can't even pick her up without risking knife wounds so a pill gun every MONTH .... ha ha, ha ha ha!

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 07-May-13 19:33:13

If you are doing him monthly as he is a hunter it might be worth giving Milbemax rather than Drontal. For several reasons
1. Drontal one table for 4kg so most adult cats should be having 1.5 or 2. Milbemax 1 tablet for an up to 8kg cat.
2. Milbemax smaller tablet oval shaped much easier to give - it has won awards to ease of giving.

gobbin Sun 12-May-13 14:36:01

One of my cats had evidence of roundworm two weeks ago. They'd not been done since they were 12 weeks old and I haven't bothered in the meantime as (I thought) they're not hunters. The youngest two have only been going out since mid-Feb.

Anyway...off to the vet for some Profender spot-on for all three. He recommended every 6 months for non-hunters and every 3 months for hunters.

Every 3 months it is, then! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now