Talk

Advanced search

my cat has just brought a bird in..

(6 Posts)
wintertimeisfun Thu 18-Apr-13 10:04:43

i am extremely upset and yes, i know this is what cats do although ours have only ever brought in one mouse in the year and a half we have had her. dh was going to put the bird out of its misery although in closer inspection i am not sure it is hurt other than one foot, it seems bright enough. i have put it in a shoe box lid and put it on the flat of our bathroom roof outside so to get it off the ground away from our/other cats. i have put some cut up apple in there too and a few bread crumbs....tbh i think dh will have to finish it off before the end of the day but we are giving it a chance incase it is just stunned. i think i can hear its mother, it looks quite young although not a baby. i stroked its head, it looked at me and opened its mouth, i am sure it wanted food :-( i am preying that it can and flay off.......i love my cat but i love birds and mice too, very hard and upsetting when this happens and i feel so guilty sad sad sad

wintertimeisfun Thu 18-Apr-13 10:18:48

yay! i just checked the box from dd's bedroom window and it is open and no signs of it in the garden (ie didn't fall off roof) so it appears to have flown off, so pleased although i hope it isn't in any pain

wintertimeisfun Thu 18-Apr-13 10:19:07

*i meant to say it is EMPTY

cozietoesie Thu 18-Apr-13 10:23:50

It will likely die shortly, wintertime. The shock of being caught is usually enough to finish most birds - and if a cat breaks their skin, there will usually be such an infection raging that they won't last more than an hour or two.

Yes- it's upsetting but I'm afraid it goes with the territory. You might want to read this page and the associated links and review your garden though.

bird friendly gardens

wintertimeisfun Thu 18-Apr-13 11:31:41

i know (that it is more than likely going to die) but i am just happy that it must have flown off, i would prefer to think that it is ok smile it was so bloody sweet and seemed to want me to feed it. i love birds, always have, love cats too but they can be vicious bastards angry

cozietoesie Thu 18-Apr-13 12:03:05

Understand completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now