Talk

Advanced search

Crazy cat dragged our moggy backwards through the catflap!

(9 Posts)
jodee Tue 16-Apr-13 22:59:18

So we are having dinner this evening in the kitchen and jump out of our skins when our boy cat starts making a terrible noise, we look round to see him halfway coming in through the flap, then get pulled back completely out of the flap! The cat scarpered but there was flying fur everywhere. It's a local cat, don't know who he belongs to, but he is very bolshy and hangs around our garden tormenting our 2 female and 1 male moggies.

All the cats were terrified, but our boy cat is nervous of anything and everything anyway, and is very clingy to me and likes to sleep where he can't be seen. He has been spraying the house and this episode will probably set him off again. I'm going to get Feliway to try and calm him down, but what can I do to deter Psycho Cat?

cozietoesie Wed 17-Apr-13 00:22:36

Is it a microchip cat flap? If so, that's the best you can do, I think - and trust that the occasions when a 'hot pursuit' is so close that the other cat manages contact at the door are few and far between.

(And get a pressure water sprayer to deter the mean tom when you see him on summer nights.)

Your poor boy. Treats and extra TLC for him are in order.

deliasmithy Wed 17-Apr-13 09:44:51

Equipment:
Catflap set to in only
Saucepan
Metal spoon
Water gun
Treats

1. Lock your cats in house
2. Lay a line of treats either going into the house through catflap or to area of garden you can ambush the mean mog.
3. Wait
4. When mean mog takes the bait proceed to frighten it with loud banging noises (spoon and saucepan) and consider use of water if necessary. This experience needs to be unpleasant enough to ensure a no return but without harming it.

Ledkr Wed 17-Apr-13 09:48:03

Yes chuck water at him and shout every time he comes near your house.
He sounds as if he's got cat ishoooos grin

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Apr-13 13:33:58

Psycho cats not brown with black spots is he? My cats been known to do things like this. blush

cozietoesie Wed 17-Apr-13 13:41:57

PS - and have you got trays for them inside so that they can avoid going out if they don't want to? (Particularly your boy. It should help the spraying a bit if he feels safe inside.)

jodee Wed 17-Apr-13 22:08:32

Hi, thanks for the replies, no it's not a microchip catflap, have you got one cozie, are they reliable? DH will not have trays in the house again, unfortunately.

Fluffy it's a very dirty black and white (all my cats are black/white but don't look like they sleep in muddy puddles).

I think I will have a heavy duty lethal weapon type water shooter to hand at all times!

cozietoesie Wed 17-Apr-13 22:24:57

I haven't jodee because at the moment I have an elderly housecat - but plenty of posters have and swear by them. A brand called 'Sureflap' appear to be the best and they are supposed to be very effective - other posters may comment.

Not cheap (about £70 ish on line I think) but worth it for the peace of mind it will give you and the troops.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Apr-13 22:26:36

PS - if the cats, particularly boycat learn that inside is completely safe because mean tom can't get in, I think you'll find that problems will ease off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now