Talk

Advanced search

Kitten 8 weeks and not feeding

(9 Posts)
Toocold Tue 16-Apr-13 14:32:57

Hello, I am hoping someone can suggest something before I go to the vets, we got a kitten on Sunday, had all up to date jabs, full of beans, is drinking and generally lovely, but still hasn't eaten or drunk any milk, we have the same here as what she had at her last home. She has drunk water thankfully.

Her mum was a pregnant stray that dh's friend took in, the owner of the stray or now owner has done everything she could.

Am I missing something?, is it just nerves on kittens behalf hence the not eating?

I have had grown up cats but not kittens before.

Thanks

Iseeall Tue 16-Apr-13 14:37:04

Weaned kittens do not need milk, just the water. Try a little bit of tinned tuna, no cat/kitten refuses that. If your kitty won't eat tuna I would contact the vet asap

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 14:37:43

She's drinking water so that's something.

What food are you offering her? And is she using her tray?

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 14:38:39

Seniorboy won't eat tuna!

A bit of warm roast chicken though will have him singing.

Toocold Tue 16-Apr-13 16:40:39

Thank you everyone!, we were told by the mums owner she still had milk, turns out that was a waste of money, will donate what's left. After I posted and had to do school run, she ate!, she will eat kitten biscuits soaked in water from the floor not her bowl, phew.

She has used her litter tray a few times. I think it must have been just the change.

Thanks again!

Toocold Tue 16-Apr-13 16:41:33

and I thought she was too young for tinned tuna?, that will be a difficult one, my ds is allergic to fish!, old enough to keep well away though.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 16:52:41

Phew! That was a long time not to eat and I was thinking vet myself - assuming that she's a solid 8 weeks and has truly been weaned. (Which I guessed to be the case from what you said about them doing everything they could.)

Keep things to small amounts and mushy for the time being - try, say, mushing up a little bit of wet kitten food with a biscuit or two in warm water. Also a good idea to make sure that the bowl you use isn't too big for her at this stage. Something small and fairly flat (eg the top of a small plastic container upturned) might be best.

Letting her lick a by of food off your fingers might also be good for introducing her to tastes, as will slightly warming her nosh.

Good luck.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Apr-13 16:53:54

My spelling doesn't improve.

bit

Toocold Tue 16-Apr-13 18:18:50

cozietoesie-Thank you. I will do all of those things, the bit about the bowl makes sense, as the kids bowl is quite flat, she prefers moshi monsters to her tasteful cream bowls grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now