Talk

Advanced search

thisis getting ridiculous!

(16 Posts)
eminemmerdale Sat 13-Apr-13 15:12:00

Hi - I posted a while ago about nearly 8 year old rescue cat whodwill not stop miawing - well, it's getting unbearable. He miaws pretty much constantly - every time we look at him, every time we don't, feeding, not feeding, walking around, sitting down. I just don't know what to do. The only time he is quiet is when he's asleep, which isn't that often! Any ideas before we all go mad???

QueenStromba Sat 13-Apr-13 16:58:47

It might be worth trying a feliway diffuser to chill him out a bit? Or dose him up on catnip? Our cat occasionally has a miaowy day for no apparent reason. Fortunately she has a special miaow for "something is really wrong that you need to fix asap" such as she can't get to her litter tray, she's gotten into the bath but can't get back out or has gotten up onto the chest of drawers but the bedside table isn't clear enough for her to get back down. I'd go a bit crazy if she was miaowing all of the time.

eminemmerdale Sat 13-Apr-13 17:07:34

We did get some catnip, but he didn't seem fussed either way! I've never heard of a diffuser. Will certainly check it out! It's just madness!!

deliasmithy Mon 15-Apr-13 07:54:27

I had a foghorn cat.
I then got a kitten who is almost mute. The first cat is a lot quieter.
After I've checked theres nothing wrong like run out of food etc, I dont reward the miaowing. I can tell the difference in her miaows now anyway to know when she is whining generally or when she genuinely wants something.

noddyholder Mon 15-Apr-13 07:58:23

I have one cat like this I have found nothing to stop him apart from rescue remedy sometimes

deliasmithy Mon 15-Apr-13 15:29:26

Yes is it anxiety?
My cat that miaows is highly strung and gets separation anxiety from me. Sometimes she gets "lost" in the house and miaows until I call her name and then she comes charging at me.

eminemmerdale Thu 18-Apr-13 13:32:41

He may still be a bit sad or worried about living with us I guess, we have had him since January though and he seems settled. He does love to totter about following us and wailing. And needs to know where we all are(wailing).

cozietoesie Thu 18-Apr-13 14:03:27

Seniorboy generally yowls when he wants something - attention from me, the tray cleaned, attention from me, food, attention from me, a door opened that's somehow been closed...... (You're getting the pattern.) He's not that mouthy for a Siamese though, probably because I usually anticipate his needs and I'm also around the house during the day so he doesn't get much separation.

Is your lad left alone for long periods, perchance?

eminemmerdale Thu 18-Apr-13 14:44:01

Some days he's on his own for the day but mostly someone is there. he has started staying out all night lately !! But is neutered. We did actually go away for a night a couple of weeks ago and the neighbour fed him. he showed his displeasure on our return by having knocked his IAMS everywhere! Maybe he's still cross about that grin

cozietoesie Thu 18-Apr-13 15:00:22

I'd have to guess that he's anxious. (And probably mouthy to boot.) Has he fixed on one person as 'his person' ? (And if so, is that the person around during the day - mostly.)

eminemmerdale Thu 18-Apr-13 15:10:43

He does seem to love me the most, but will happily annoy anyone who is nearby. It's sad sad he has no reason to be unhappy sad

eminemmerdale Thu 18-Apr-13 15:11:02

It tends to be DH who is around more as he works p/t.

cozietoesie Thu 18-Apr-13 15:39:44

He probably has no reason to be unhappy in the normal way of things - I'm just used to Siamese who tend to obsess on one person and can get quite antsy if they don't get their fill of TLC from that special person. I think some other orientals can be similarly needy so if he's got any of those bloodlines in him......

You may be stuck with a mouthy blighter but I'd be tempted to try loads of extra TLC for him - from you! Does he sleep with you ?

eminemmerdale Thu 18-Apr-13 16:04:35

occasionally. If he does, he ends up on my pillow!!

cozietoesie Thu 18-Apr-13 16:07:11

I'd invite him in for a few nights. You can fill up a big gaping pit of anxiety in a needy cat with just a night or two of close sleeping. Worth a try, anyway.

eminemmerdale Thu 18-Apr-13 19:30:28

BigFatCat boy has had lots of hugs tonight - and gone outside in disgust grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now