Talk

Advanced search

Total cat novice, advice please

(8 Posts)
onetiredmummy Sat 13-Apr-13 11:54:23

Morning,

I've never had a cat before, only a dog but the thought of a cat appeals to me & lately I can't stop thinking about it. But I need to know more about cats, I've watched Jackson Galaxy a few times smile & he makes it sound vair complicated with needing furniture at different levels etc etc

So, apart from the insurance, food, toys, bowls, bed etc what would it cost month to month to provide for a healthy young cat.

Also I'd rather get a rescue cat than a kitten, what are the downsides to rescue cats. I think that a potential problem with any rescue animal is that you don't know its background & that a cat is an animal who will scratch & bite if felt threatened. I have a 3 year old DS who won't mistreat the cat (exH has a cat so DS is used to them) but I worry that with a rescue cat we won't know what its afraid of & will inadvertantly frighten it . Does this happen or am I being precious?

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Apr-13 12:03:38

The first couple of pages of this thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1681116-Were-probably-getting-a-rescue-cat-soon-What-do-we-need-to-buy-and-how-much-will-upkeep-cost should answer your questions about cost etc.

I have no idea what you mean about furniture at different levels. Do you mean special cat climbing frames or something? In which case you definitely don't need those. Will the cat have access to the outside or do you want a cat suitable for a flat?

You have got it completely wrong about rescue cats. With a rescue cat you know what you are getting because it will have spent time in the rescue centre and been very carefully assessed. Any cat/kitten you buy is a total lottery.

The rescue centre will be able to point you towards cats they have that would be good with children. That is to say very laid-back, tolerant and bold cats.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Apr-13 12:07:59

Hi onetired. Cat rescues will come and do a home visit so you can talk over any of your worries with them.

I have always taken on a rescue cat. Sparkling Cat is my 3rd. smile The rescue will do their best to pair you with a cat that suits you. Some will say 'no children' etc. But lots will say 'family friendly'.

When it first arrives it may well hide for a bit and that is quite normal, just give it time to settle.

onetiredmummy Sat 13-Apr-13 12:18:12

Hi sparkling & thecatneuterer, thanks for replies & for linkie

My back door already has a cat flap so he will have access to the outside.

Will go & read that thread now smile

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Apr-13 12:19:09

Exciting. smile Do keep us posted.

QueenStromba Sat 13-Apr-13 16:34:59

I'm pleased that my thread is the go to thread for cat beginners smile

As others have said, getting a rescue cat is the best way to find a cat that will suit your life style. Battersea had us fill in a questionnaire, interviewed us on site and then did a home visit which was kind of interviewing us again plus checking the flat and answering any questions we had. Getting a kitten is far more of a lottery than getting a rescue.

sashh Sun 14-Apr-13 03:49:41

I've just listed some of the cats I've fostered over the years on another thread, the one about boy/girl kittens being friendlier.

All of them (Except poor loopy) were re homed to homes that suited them in terms of people, access to outside, other pets etc etc.

So Annie who was about 19 was re homed with an older lady who had a lot of cat experience and a quiet home. She would never have been placed in a home with a 3 year old because three year olds are active and want to play.

deliasmithy Mon 15-Apr-13 08:04:03

I have two cats, we spend about 70 a month on them all-in.
That includes:
One or two unexpected vet trips and meds
The cheapest cat insurance that barely covers anything x 2
Bulk buying posh dried food and expensive litter from zoo plus
Toys
Cattery fees for the odd holiday
Flea treatment for the summer

That gives you a rough idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now