Talk

Advanced search

What to do with my cat

(19 Posts)
SillyBlueHat Thu 11-Apr-13 09:18:43

My 7 year old cat was not happy when DC1 arrived but now DC2 has arrived she has started weeing in the house, including on baby's car seat. I don't think I can keep her as I can't give her the attention she wants. The only thing is about rehoming is that I fear noone will want her. Obviously she can't be rehomed with small children. She's also really nervous and hates everyone but me. Plus she vomits up her food occasionally. It would be cruel for her to be in a rehoming centre for any length of time as she would be petrified. It's not looking hopeful is it?

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 10:34:12

Have you tried using feliway calming diffuser? Giving her somewhere to go away from the bustle of kids? Attention when the children are not around/in bed? Sounds like she has been upset by the arrivals and feels displaced sad

thecatneuterer Thu 11-Apr-13 13:04:32

Where did she wee before? Does she have a litter tray in the house?

SillyBlueHat Thu 11-Apr-13 14:00:09

I'll try the diffuser. She has plenty of places to hide away, and she usually does. Baby is very young and is attached to me all evening and all night. But if I get 5 mins when I can put baby down I am desperate for some peace and to be left alone.
She has never had a litter tray and I can't have one in the house.

thecatneuterer Thu 11-Apr-13 14:06:31

I think the obvious answer is to have a litter tray in the house. I think if she had one she's be more likely to wee there than randomly on other things. Why can't you have one?

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 14:06:53

Is there any particular reason you can't have a tray in the house? I'm wondering, if she's nervous at the moment, whether there might also be - say - some new mean tom outside that is making her want to do her duty inside. (Cats can feel vulnerable when they pee and poo and prefer a quiet safe place.) If there's no tray for her to use then she could just go anywhere.

A tray seems like the solution to me, I have to say. At the least, I would have thought it would be your first option, before the Feliway.

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 14:12:20

PS - and cats do throw up occasionally. (Usually from eating too fast or from furrballs.) It goes with the territory.

SparklyOnTheInside Thu 11-Apr-13 14:32:31

My cat went through this when DD was born, she weed in all sorts of places.. car seat and even once in the cot (new mattress required so I was v v v tempted to commit cat murder)

She stopped of her own accord once she got used to the new world order.

But for a while we were super vigilant in covering things up, storing things upside down and keeping various doors closed! We also had a couple of cat nets on cots and big stuff with fabric in them.

I second the Feliway diffuser (and possibly the spray too, if cat comes back to specific places)

Agree that a tray should help too, there are various things you can used to fill it not just standard litter, there are paper, wood and special crystal versions of cat litter. If cat is very nervy you can get one with a roof, which is also helpful in discouraging toddlers from investigating!

If you don't like the idea of a litter tray in your kitchen then put it in the loo/bathroom or somewhere convenient for you. Our cat has hers in the bathroom and that works just fine for us all.

Might also help to chat with the vet in case there is something else going on with your cat?

I'm sure you already know this but just in case.. if you clean the wee up with bleach that will encourage more cat wee. There are several suggestions of other things to use but I had a spray bottle of stuff from the vets which was really good at neutralising the horrid cat-wee-whiff!

Congrats on DC2 and I hope you manage to work things out with your cat smile

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 14:40:48

Covered litter trays are the answer around d children. I have one, has carbon filter in the lid and you would not know it is there, me smells, no mess. Cost a bit more but under £20 and let's face it, you only need to buy it once

SillyBlueHat Thu 11-Apr-13 18:28:52

Thanks for your replies. She spends a lot of time outdoors ad I have seen her toileting out there.
Think I'll get the plug in and see how we go

SillyBlueHat Thu 11-Apr-13 18:30:12

Plus I just do not have the time or energy for litter trays. I barely have time to feed myself, let alone do housework or clean out litter!

thecatneuterer Thu 11-Apr-13 18:37:41

I would have thought that it would take less time and energy to clean out a litter tray than it does to wash and clean the things she's wee'd on. And surely if it were a case of do that or get her rehomed then you could find the time and energy (it takes a few seconds btw) from somewhere?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 11-Apr-13 18:42:42

Litter trays aren't that bad. It doesn't take me long and I hate housework.

Definitely quicker to clean a tray than to wash the sodding curtains again.

zzzzz Thu 11-Apr-13 18:43:53

Nearly summer when presumably she can be out most of the time. Does he have shelter outside.

Mine is an outside cat who sometimes comes in rather than the other way around, it suits us.

Viviennemary Thu 11-Apr-13 18:48:31

I'd try everything first before you re-home. My cat died recently aged 16. She did go through times when she got on my nerves but couldn't have re-homed. Hope this is just a phase and it gets sorted out soon. With the better weather she will probably be outside a lot more. What about a cat flap.

EuroShaggleton Thu 11-Apr-13 18:59:42

Rehoming sounds pretty drastic. Can't you find a way to give her a bit more love?

thecatneuterer Thu 11-Apr-13 19:05:31

I was assuming there was a cat flap. If there isn't then you absolutely have to have a litter tray.

Also, if this weeing in the house thing is very recent, she may have cystitis. If she is constantly squatting to wee, and is only doing dribbles, then that is almost certainly it and she will need to see a vet immediately.

Iseeall Thu 11-Apr-13 19:09:24

I would suggest putting the litter tray away from your eldest child, somewhere very quiet. In a spare bedroom utility room or your bathroom(assuming dc does not yet use the loo on his/her own yet).
I agree rehoming sounds a bit drastic and as you have had kitty for seven yrs you would regret it.
Hopefully you are just going through a new mum exhaustion phase and things will get easier soon.

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 22:33:47

It IS hard, but I have up to Seven children here in a day sometimes,and make time for the cats in the evenings,or quiet moments when the children are sleeping,or having quiet play. Five minutes of sitting and stroking or playing with one of their toys (ball of paper thrown around makes good impromptu toy) makes them feel loved and part of the family-which they are of course.
Litter tray takes 15 mins to completely empty and give quick squirt and wipe with antibac, once every week (we have two cats and use cheap litter, if you use crystals,can go longer if one cat) you can buy liners so you don't have to clean tray, then you just tie up,put new liner in and litter on top.

For something that takes that little time, isn't that better than rehoming?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now