Advanced search

what do you call it...

(35 Posts)

When your cat kneads you with his her paws(and claws) when purring and happy?

For many generations of cat lovers in our house (and cats) it has been known as 'dough dough-ing' because it's like they are kneading doug with their claws.

However when I said to a friend the other day that one of my cats left claw marks in my neck dough dough-ing on me, her ???? look made me realise that other people have different words!

So what do you call it?!?!

GranToAirMissiles Wed 06-Mar-13 17:16:46

I would call it treading or kneading. German has an 'official' word for it - Milchtritt (milk-step). The cat thinks you are its mother.

cozietoesie Wed 06-Mar-13 17:28:01

Then Sparklingcat has got a real psychological crisis, Gran !


GranToAirMissiles Wed 06-Mar-13 17:31:46

Yeah, trying to get blood milk out of a stone.

Sparklingbrook Wed 06-Mar-13 17:54:33

Ooh blimey. Sparkling Cat needs counselling I think. grin

iklboo Wed 06-Mar-13 18:06:35

Padding here.

VenusRising Thu 07-Mar-13 00:06:25

Let down patting. For the milk let down. Love that German word: Milk trot!

If you look at all feeding mammals they all pat the mothers boob to get the milk let down. Goats and sheep for eg butt the mother's udders, as do cows and horses.
All these little cats are thinking you are their mum, and milk is on the menu. Very cute.

Do you not clip the sharp points of their claws? We never have the needles, as we clip the points off. Much better for the milk trot shock smile

TataClaire Thu 07-Mar-13 04:50:35

milk treading and my cat dribbles and purrs away throughout!

gobbin Thu 07-Mar-13 13:55:29

Puddling here.

thecatneuterer Thu 07-Mar-13 21:50:36

I'm stunned at all these different terms! I really thought that the whole English speaking world called it either 'padding', 'paddy pawing' or 'kneading'. Who would have thought there could be almost as many variations as there are people - or so it would seem. I'm loving 'the milk trot' though. I'm sure I'm going to be using that in future.

WhatKindofFool Thu 07-Mar-13 23:10:26

I've always just called it "clawing" cos it hurts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: