Any vets around? Would appreciate advice on my cat's test results :((14 Posts)
My beautiful tabby had a lump removed from his neck last week. The vet said it was very easy to remove and didn't have any veins in it. We got the results back today and it's a sarcoma fusiform (sp - the report is in French so translation might not be correct), type complex feline fibrosarcoma
The vet who gave my DH the news was not the one who operated on Wells but did say she understood they'd taken some skin off from around it, but it's an aggressive form of cancer. DH didn't ask many questions so I'd really like to know, if there are any vets around, whether
1. Aggressive means the tumour only or the likelihood of it coming back?
2. What the general prognosis for this type of cancer is?
Wells is only 6, generally in good health and a pure apartment cat. It's knocked us for six as straight after the op the vet said it had gone well and didn't look like anything particularly concerning.
I don't want to Google as we're pretty upset - I guess I just want a bit of hand holding this evening until I can call tomorrow to ask the questions DH didn't. Wells is sitting on my lap without a care in the world <wail>
I'm not a vet and can't answer your questions but just want to say I'm really sorry you got this bad news. If it was easy to remove then I would think that's a good thing as it means they could get it all out. Does the report have a number in it for the stage? They are graded (1 - 4 or 1 - 3 depending on the system they use - not sure which it would be in France) and that will give you an idea; lower numbers are less to worry about. The best thing is probably to give your vet a call in the morning and ask them what it means.
It's always hard to think of all the right questions to ask when you get news like this. I hope the answers are reassuring tomorrow. I hope you and Wells have had a nice cuddle this evening.
I googled for you in the current absence of an MN vet.
I think it depends on whether it has spread or not. From my reading all feline fibrosarcomas are aggressive so that on its own doesn't say much.
"A fibrosarcoma diagnosis is not a death sentence, although the cancer does carry with it a high mortality rate. Typically, a veterinarian may prescribe any combination of three treatment plans to address fibrosarcoma in your cat.
First, surgery may be necessary to remove a tumor. The viability of this option will depend upon the severity and progression of the cancer, the location of the tumor and your cat's overall health and age.
In addition to, or instead of, surgery, your veterinarian will likely prescribe radiotherapy to treat fibrosarcoma. Radiotherapy serves to relieve your cat's pain while slowing the progression and spread of the cancer.
If the cancer has metastasized to other parts of your cat's body, chemotherapy may be a viable option."
Thank you Kewcumber. Unfortunately no number given. The extract you posted was helpful, thanks for that. We don't know if it has metastaised (sp) but we were led to understand that the lump was quite clean and easy to remove, hopefully that will count in his favour.
Reading between the lines of what you posted and based on the info DH got (and I don't blame him at all for not asking more questions - I would have just burst into tears I think) we now need to wait asd see how quickly (if) it comes back which will give us an indication of whether it's spread. She did mention radio/chemo so I will ask a bit more about when radio is indicated (because they haven't suggested it for this time).
Well, I feel a bit like I'm talking to myself but it's therapeutic so I'll continue!
I spoke to the vet this afternoon who said that there's generally a 20-40% chance of it coming back but as it's hard to remove sufficient skin from around the sarcoma we have to be vigilent about checking him for tumours.
They normally recommend chemo or radiotherapy only after the second or third reoccurrance.
Basically what we understood is that it's pretty random, it may come back next month or we may get lucky and it may never come back. And if it does come back then surgery and chemo may work, or it may not.
Best of luck to him AllSWornOut. Doesn't sound like there's much you can do other than keeping a watchful eye.
You're not talking to yourself! My cat died last week so I absolutely understand how you feel.
Oh Kewcumber, I'm so sorry. I really appreciated your hand holding last night and I didn't mean to come across so snarky - I wish we could edit posts here. I don't know what to say to comfort you on your loss just some unmumsnetty hugs ((()))
Cozietosie you've just about summed it up. I guess we'll get used to it but at least we still have him to stroke, even if for the moment I'm feeling every ripplenunder his skin and wondering if it's another tumour. Ugh.
Thanks for your kind words both of you.
no its OK I didn't think you were being snarky. You're upset, so am I. I won't be more or less upset based on how you feel - anyway misery loves company doesn't it?
but at least we still have him to stroke - hold on this this - it isn't over until its over - I would give a lot to have my lovely cat back for one more week.
actually I'm being greedy - even an hour would be good.
Big hug and kiss for you and your little cat xxx
Thanks Chippy xx
I bet you would Kewcumber - these furry, purry, silly, affectionate, aloof cats always end up breaking our hearts sooner or later
It sounds like all you can do is keep an eye on him now. Well done for spotting it and taking him to be treated when he needed it. Best of luck x
Mine gave me more grey hairs than the kids then went and stole my bleeding heart. god rest him xxxx
Join the discussion
Please login first.