Talk

Advanced search

Hyperthyroid in my middle aged moggy.

(4 Posts)
amigababy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:46:11

She's suddenly been losing weight - which was a good thing in a way as she's a real tubby. But when it was noticeable we took her to the vets last week, blood tests followed and she's got hyperthyroid. I'm picking up tablets tomorrow, with a review at the vets in 10 days.
In all other ways she's very healthy and happy (grumpy - but always has been smile), just wondered if anyone had any experience of this ailment and what might happen next?

Dolallytats Mon 29-Oct-12 21:59:59

My cat (17) has just been diagnosed with this too. He is currently having regular blood tests as they are trying to find a level of the tablets that work for him. He went to live with my daughter when she moved out a year ago-she needs to book an appt for him in the next few days. It can be quite expensive while they are working out the tablet combination (sorry can't remember what they are called), but we've been told by the vet that we can buy them online a lot cheaper when it's sorted.
He will have to continue having regular blood tests as hyperthyroidism can affect the liver (or kidneys, sorry bit useless today and can't remember which one!!) It can be controlled, but it will be tablets for life. If (rarely) the tablets don't work, they can have a chemo style treatment. This is, as far as I'm aware, a short treatment and the cat won't need tablets after-it's expensive (I looked it up and it's around £1000), but when you add the cost of tablets on aan average lifespan it's not much different.

WofflingOn Mon 29-Oct-12 22:24:24

Mine had an operation to remove one of his thyroid glands, very quick and easy. he's on tablets for high BP as well, and other than that is a happy and healthy geriatric!

chemenger Mon 29-Oct-12 22:37:32

Our 14 year old cat had treatment with radioactive iodine last year to correct hyperthyroidism, very successfully. She was on tablets for about a month beforehand which was a nightmare because she is pretty much unhandleable (as in she sometimes needs sedation for annual vaccinations). She had to stay at the vet hospital for just over a week then we had to have only limited contact for some time afterwards, until she was no longer radioactive. Since she pretty much hates us anyway this wasn't too hard! This cost £2000, including loads of tests before the treatment, but was covered by insurance. I think you can only get this treatment in a couple of places in the uk at the moment but it worked for us. As far as the cat was concerned she just had an injection - no pain to deal with (except for the nurses who had to look after her, she did not get on with them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now