Talk

Advanced search

we are getting kittens

(65 Posts)
TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 08:19:32

Are there any basic websites out there that has child friendly info ?

I have two boys and they want to learn all about them and exactly what we should do for them .

The kittens are male , born on a farm and I am nervous but excited about having them .

But it has been a long time since I had a kitten in my life , so I also need to check lots of info .

Like is it two weeks I should keep them indoors completely so they know they now live with us ?

I am going to ring local vets today to find out about jabs .

sashh Mon 29-Oct-12 08:27:09

Have a look at Cats Protection, there are resources for cubs and brownies as well as adult information.

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 08:32:20

Thank you , will have a look ,

I am presuming they need a food bowl each but will they share a water bowl ?

HalloweenCatsRock Mon 29-Oct-12 09:29:11

We got out two kitties from the RSPCA just yesterday. They are 4 months old. I put down two food bowls - they currently have 15g EACH of pro plan kitten dry food - THREE TIMES PER DAY. One fresh water bowl they share.

I've been advised that when they are approx 6 months old I can change their food amount to 30g x 2 per day. Then when they are 1 they go onto adult food. I will probably incorporate some form of wet food per day at some stage.

I was advised 1 litter tray each - but practically just 1 between them is working as I'm a SAHM and on poop scoop duty oretty quickly. Will prob put down a second one once we are in more of a routine and I find space for it.

They are on Avocate flea and worm treatment which is due monthly.

Am advised to give them Drontal wormer every 6 months once they are actively outside.

They are due their second vaccinations in three weeks time.

Neutering is due early December when they are six months old.

They have 1 igloo style bed to share. Also a scratch post (essential IMO) which has a platform that they can sit on - cats like to be high up.

A few toys to keep them amused is a must - a few ping pong balls and little catnip mice is a good idea.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your kitties and don't forget to insure them (I'm just looking at the different types of policies at the moment)

HalloweenCatsRock Mon 29-Oct-12 09:31:25

The RSPCA website is brilliant for advice - or just get your boys to pop into the local RSPCA rescue centre and ask their advice.

Ponders Mon 29-Oct-12 09:46:32

ours are a month older than HCR's & oh they do like to be high up, now they can do the jumps. I am forever scooting ours off the table.

They get Royal Canin kitten food as recommended by the vet & they like it more than anything else they've had. That's in one bowl, they also have the RC wet food (vet said not to bother but they like it & it means they get more moisture) in separate bowls, plus bowls of kitten milk & water all the time. There are lots of websites selling pet food, usually cheaper than shops & you don't have to lug it about.

Good free toys - round plastic tops (off eg hairspray, & especially shaving foam, the dome shaped ones) & scrunched-up balls of paper/sellotape. Get a laser pen (I got this one, very sturdy) - watching them trying to catch the light is the funniest thing.

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:08:30

Thank you , I am tidying the house in preparation .... No I don't know why either .

Then a phone call to check what they are eating now and what litter they are using and off to the shops .

Boys have had a good look now at a couple of sites , I think it is helping them to understand how much of a responsibility it is .

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:10:28

Other good free toy is any large cardboard box that you (or the neighbours) have in the loft or garage. They can have hours of fun with them!

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:14:42

The only thing I am worried about is the spraying , I had male cats before and they never did it in the house but what can I do if these do ?

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:24:19

Get them neutered as soon as allowable. That should help. Otherwise - well. Being two brothers should also help but unfortunately it's no absolute guarantee that one or both of them won't spray if, say, a dominance issue arises. I'd go for two litter trays myself and make sure they're kept squeaky clean.

Keep your fingers crossed and come back if any spraying starts.

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:27:07

Thanks , they are 11 weeks so a little while before neutering , will just have to keep fingers crossed .

I think the hardest thing for today will be leaving them alone and not picking them up .

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:28:49

Thanks , they are 11 weeks so a little while before neutering , will just have to keep fingers crossed .

I think the hardest thing for today will be leaving them alone and not picking them up .

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:32:17

You're allowed to pick them up! (As long as they don't struggle and scratch when it's maybe best left for just a little.) They're only babies so some warmth and body contact should be enjoyable to them - particularly when they get sleepy - and will help with socialization.

Just don't allow the DCs to pick them up for a day or two, perhaps.

I'd wait until the evening when their heads droop and then lift onto your lap while you're going to sit for a half hour at least. See how it goes. They might just flop and snore.

Best of luck.

smile

PS - the hardest thing is actually the angst prior to the 'First Use of Litter Tray'. You'll find yourself wandering over to check it every 20 minutes.

Alonglongway Mon 29-Oct-12 10:38:01

How old are your sons? Is just worth making sure they respect the kittens' need for peace/rest. We have a brother/sister pair we got earlier this year at 11 weeks and a boy we got in the summer as an 8 week old. The small boy adopted a box straight away for his bed and I made a rule that the kids were not allowed to bother him in any way when he went in there. The big two slept all over the place, often curled up together in the early days, and again the kids were not allowed to bother them when they were sleeping/eating.

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:39:55

They do seem to be quite chilled and the mum has a lovely temperament so hopefully they won't take long to settle .

Am very much looking forward to kitten cuddled , just don't want to overwhelm them .

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:43:18

They have guinea pigs already and know not to disturb them if sleepy or eating . And they have contact with dogs so know about not surprising from behind and being gentle . They are 6 and 8 and have been looking at the sites and telling me what needs to be done . I do think they will be fine .

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:44:14

Thankyou though , my reply wasn't meant to sound grumpy .

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:46:07

It didn't sound grumpy at all.

smile

Let us know how it goes.

chatee Mon 29-Oct-12 10:55:33

When we got our two boy kittens from a farm, the children were 7 and 4 years old and we took them to the vets with the kittens and the vet explained "in kiddy terms" about caring for their new pets-worked so much better than either me or dh saying to them what to do or not to do.
One piece of invaluable advice was to have somewhere for the kittens that was child free- we had a radiator bed in the lounge and if the kitten was on it - it was not to be disturbed but if it was sat on the sofa then it could be stroked and picked up and put on lap
We also started a "routine" within the house settling period ( that now extends to when they go out too).Cats are clever.
Ours are put to bed when the last person up is going to bed-in fact when dh turns off the tv the cats will generally stagger in a sleepy haze to their bed (ours go in the utility room overnight-with a lovely big (supposed to be a dog bed) bed as they like to share, a water bowl and a litter tray and they are happy as they have always done this.
Ours 'know' our cars and come running to greet us every time.
Make sure you take them the vets as no doubt they will have 'passengers living on them' and get them insured properly.
One of our cats was injured as a kitten and it would have cost £2000 plus to receive immediate care and attention from a vet that he needed.
They are a joy to have and having never owned a kitten before I am so chuffed that we made the decision to have the two little fur balls that are now big much loved fur balls that warm you up immensely on a cold winters night sat on the sofa!
Ps ours were 'done' as soon as able and we haven't had any problems.
Good luck xx

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 13:03:21

They are here and hiding .

The first thing both of them did was go and have a wander in the fireplace , so after nearly nine years of an open fire , small children and no fire guard I think we might have to get one .

Interesting days ahead I reckon !

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 13:05:51

If the fire's not on - quickly stuff some black plastic bags or something up the chimney until you light it! I have memories of my first Siamese kitten getting up into the chimney - and having to wash him when he came down black. I still bear the mental scars.

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 13:57:08

Thankfully the fire was off and cooled , they surely wouldn't be daft enough to go near it if on and hot .

Still hiding , last seen going behind a cupboard , I presume they are there , can't hear anything .

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 15:12:49

No - if the fire's on, you'll be fine. It's just when it's off and cool that you might need to be concerned, kittens being what they are.

They'll be fine behind the cupboard. Just hunkered down and getting used to life in a different place. They'll likely come out when it's quieter eg when the DCs have gone to bed - and when they're getting hungry or need to use their tray.

smile

TequilaMockingMagpie Mon 29-Oct-12 15:35:40

The brave one has just come out and had a little bit of food and a quick wander before going behind a chair grin

The boys are being very patient thankfully .

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 15:44:36

Ah good. Now all you need is the other one to eat (which he likely will soon if his bolder brother has done it) and both use their tray and life will be complete.

Well done the boys!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now