Talk

Advanced search

Rehome a Black Cat Day

(43 Posts)
redrubyshoes Fri 26-Oct-12 12:10:02

See below.

www.bedford.cats.org.uk/bedford/news/help-black-cats-improve-their-luck

nomadwantshome Fri 26-Oct-12 12:16:10

Awww! We will be getting a rescue cat soon, just need to sort out a cap flap then start looking. I wouldn't ever consider a cats colour, it's bizarre! If there's a suitable black cat then it's mine!

Doodlekitty Fri 26-Oct-12 12:18:22

This baffles me too. I have 2 rescue kitties. Got them at 8 weeks from a shelter and they are now 5. They are both black. They had a black and white sister who was rehomed the same day (or I would have had 3!)

Wonder why black is less popular

ShowOfBloodyStumps Fri 26-Oct-12 12:20:07

My big, glossy, beautiful black cat is currently purring on my knee. He has the nicest temperament of any cat I've ever met.

5ThingsUnderTheBed Fri 26-Oct-12 12:21:47

How odd, who don't people want black cats I have two, one is pure black, the other has white paws. My pure black one is stunning, he has huge yellow eyes.

redrubyshoes Fri 26-Oct-12 12:22:09

I would love a black cat but my bossy and territorial little tabby would not tolerate any competition. sad

jennycrofter Fri 26-Oct-12 12:22:45

We re-homed a black kitten about a month ago. He is an absolute delight, and has totally brightened up the lives of our other two ancient lumps.

MIL however believes they are "owned" by witches. shocksmileshock

Even she realises how mad that is. grin

Just doing this now to use the hats...actually I suspect this is just a very good way of getting CP some media attention, and if it works, frankly all the better. smilesmilesmile

juneybean Fri 26-Oct-12 12:22:54

I chose my user namesake because she was the only black one in the litter. I'm not terribly superstitious though :/

TiAAAAARGHo Fri 26-Oct-12 12:24:06

I will never understand what the issue is with black cats. I don't have one at present, but that is because I rescued my existing catas based on their temperament (cat 1) and need (cat 2). In the future, I would always be happy to home any colour cat that fits with my family.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 26-Oct-12 12:27:00

It's not just cats either, black dogs are meant to be harder to rehome.

I have a black cat and a black dog.

Handsfulloffun Fri 26-Oct-12 12:32:26

I shouldnt have clicked on that link, I am broody for another cat/kitten now.

YouWithTheFace Fri 26-Oct-12 12:32:34

That is so weird! It didn't even cross my mind when choosing my cats, (almost) identical black brothers. I WAS aware that age was a factor, so deliberately went for older cats, but who wouldn't love a beautiful glossy black fluffy cat?

Of course, my career goal when I was fifteen was to live in a cottage with a herb garden, a library, and five cats, so possibly I am looking at the stereotype from the wrong end.

WheresMyCow Fri 26-Oct-12 12:33:01

I wanted a ginger cat but when we got our first 2 cats they only had black or black & white cats in. We got a brother and sister both black and white.

When we got our next cat a couple of years later, I wanted a ginger cat - I already had the name picked out (Sampson after the cat in The Church Mice series of books). We came home with an all black cat because I fell in love with him when I saw him. He has my ginger cat name grin

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 26-Oct-12 14:09:54

I adopted the tail less wonder as being a black cat with no tail she had very few chances of being adopted particularly has she would have been shown with her five tabby and white kittens.
She is the most loving cat I have ever had and I've had a lot.
Black cats rock.

usualsuspect3 Fri 26-Oct-12 14:13:12

I chose my cat because he was black. I find it weird that they are hard to rehome.

I'll have them all grin

greenhill Fri 26-Oct-12 14:31:33

I have a long haired black cat with beautiful green eyes.

She'd been at Battersea Dogs Home for about 2 months, 15 years ago, when most of the other cats had left after a few days. She had short hair until we took her home, loved her and fed her on Hill's Science Plan.

I'd never considered that people would be superstitious about black cats! She is my familiar though grin

Lancelottie Fri 26-Oct-12 14:38:20

Black cats are unlucky, sorry.

They're totally invisible on our navy chairs, so they get sat on.
They lurk invisibly on the stairs in the dark to be tripped over.
They sit in the middle of the road playing Chicken with the traffic.
They disguise themselves as piles of socks and nearly get spin-dried.

I'm holding out for genetically engineered luminous green cats next time.

greenhill Fri 26-Oct-12 14:44:48

Have you seen the Winnie the Witch story in which Wilbur trips her up so many times that she changes his colour?

It is very funny, as he is camouflaged when out in the grass when he is green; but when she makes him multi-coloured the birds laugh at him as he isn't scary anymore. Winnie then changes him back to being a black cat and changes her house instead. Everyone is happy smile

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 26-Oct-12 14:46:42

my black cat is beautiful
black is my favourite and best

redrubyshoes Fri 26-Oct-12 16:11:26

I have always hankered after a black cat but in my life I have always ended up with tabbies. confused

I love black cats with green eyes.

redrubyshoes Fri 26-Oct-12 16:13:32

Anyone know of the rhyme that goes along the lines of;

The maid that keepeth the blackest cat
Of love ....something, something she will not lack

Basically if you have a black cat you will always have love...............

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 26-Oct-12 16:49:09

I'd like a black cat too next time.

Our white persians also blended in surprisingly well and had a few near death expieriences.

You'd think you'd notice a large fluffy white cat but no.

Lancelottie Fri 26-Oct-12 20:56:02

Greenhill, that was one of my favourite books for DD when little!

Vev Sat 27-Oct-12 13:50:42

We love our beautiful black cat, she rules the roost in this house. smile

LFCisTarkaDahl Sat 27-Oct-12 13:56:12

One of our cats is black - he is very elegant looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now